Changing the shop name can be done in two ways – through the PrestaShop Administrator interface and through the database. The easy way is definitely using the Administrator, but there may be occasions where the name has to be changed through the database. Changing the shop name through the database may seem a bit daunting to anyone unfamiliar with moving around the cPanel and database tool. There are two ways to alter the data in the databse using the phpMyAdmin tool. One is to run a query and the other is to navigate the rows and do a direct edit. We cover both methods below.
Using the PrestaShop 1.6 Administrator Dashboard
- Log into your PrestaShop 1.6 Administrator Dashabord.
- Once you’re in the PrestaShop Administrator, click on PREFERENCES, then scroll down to and click on Store Contacts.
- In Store Contacts, click on the Shop Name field and change the name entry as needed.
- Click on SAVE to preserve your changes.
Accessing the phpMyAdmin tool
First we need to get to the phpMyAdmin tool.
- Log into your cPanel dashboard.
- Find the Databases category and click on the phpMyAdmin icon.
- Once inside the phpMyAdmin tool, click on the Databases tab. This brings up a list of databases in your account. Click on the name of your PrestaShop database.
Using a direct table edit
- Once you select the database the screen will list all of the tables.
- Scroll down and click on the ps_configuration table. (note this assumes you are using the default ps_ prefix.)
- The new screen displays all the rows in the ps_configuration table. Scroll down and click on the Value column (the 5th one) of the PS_SHOP_NAME row. In the default PrestaShop 1.6 database, this is around row number 235. The ‘value’ column has the current shop name in it.
- The column will allow you to edit the name of the shop. Enter the new name and click Enter.
Using a SQL Query
If you are familiar with using a SQL Query, this can be a faster method.
- Once the database tables appear on the screen, look to the tabs at the top of the screen and click on the SQL tab.
- This brings you a blank SQL Query screen where you can enter and run your query. The specific query you need to run is below. The only thing you need to change is “New Shop Name”. Change that to be your desired store name, be sure to keep the quotes around the name.UPDATE ps_configuration SET value = “New Shop Name” WHERE name =”PS_SHOP_NAME”
Now that you have changed the shop name in the database, visit your site. The shop name will appear in the tab of the browser for the storefront. It will also appear in the upper left corner of the back office. Enjoy your newly named store.