Changing the shop name can be done in two ways – through the PrestaShop Administrator interface and through the database. The easy way is definitely using the Administrator, but there may be occasions where the name has to be changed through the database. Changing the shop name through the database may seem a bit daunting to anyone unfamiliar with moving around the cPanel and database tool. There are two ways to alter the data in the databse using the phpMyAdmin tool. One is to run a query and the other is to navigate the rows and do a direct edit. We cover both methods below.
Using the PrestaShop 1.6 Administrator Dashboard
- Log into your PrestaShop 1.6 Administrator Dashabord.
- Once you’re in the PrestaShop Administrator, click on PREFERENCES, then scroll down to and click on Store Contacts.
- In Store Contacts, click on the Shop Name field and change the name entry as needed.
- Click on SAVE to preserve your changes.
Accessing the phpMyAdmin tool
First we need to get to the phpMyAdmin tool.
- Log into your cPanel dashboard.
- Find the Databases category and click on the phpMyAdmin icon.
- Once inside the phpMyAdmin tool, click on the Databases tab. This brings up a list of databases in your account. Click on the name of your PrestaShop database.
Using a direct table edit
- Once you select the database the screen will list all of the tables.
- Scroll down and click on the ps_configuration table. (note this assumes you are using the default ps_ prefix.)
- The new screen displays all the rows in the ps_configuration table. Scroll down and click on the Value column (the 5th one) of the PS_SHOP_NAME row. In the default PrestaShop 1.6 database, this is around row number 235. The ‘value’ column has the current shop name in it.
- The column will allow you to edit the name of the shop. Enter the new name and click Enter.
Using a SQL Query
If you are familiar with using a SQL Query, this can be a faster method.
- Once the database tables appear on the screen, look to the tabs at the top of the screen and click on the SQL tab.
- This brings you a blank SQL Query screen where you can enter and run your query. The specific query you need to run is below. The only thing you need to change is “New Shop Name”. Change that to be your desired store name, be sure to keep the quotes around the name.UPDATE ps_configuration SET value = “New Shop Name” WHERE name =”PS_SHOP_NAME”
Now that you have changed the shop name in the database, visit your site. The shop name will appear in the tab of the browser for the storefront. It will also appear in the upper left corner of the back office. Enjoy your newly named store.
Thoughts on “How to change your shop name in PrestaShop 1.6”
I had changed my shop name with succesful but I have another problem when I upload new logo.
It take for prefix the old name shop. I didn’t found in DB or in a file any configuration a line to change to get the new name shop when I upload new logos.
Do you have any suggestion ? Thanks a lot!
You will want to activate the Multi-Store setting. Then visit that area. Your shop will appear with the old name. Click on the Edit button and you will be able to rename it. Once you have renamed it, you can then go back and disable multi-shop so that once again have a single store. Then, reupload your logo and it will use the new store’s name when creating the URL.
I tried this on one prestashop 1.6+ Prestashop and it worked. But on another with a copy of the same database it did not? In both cases I left the code varchar(128) the same. The password I changed using the cookie and MD5 but when I try to log in it tells me that either the password or the email address is wrong. When I go to the employee line in the database it shows the correct email address and the password in code.
Thanks for pointing this out. I will have the article updated in the next few days. The correct table would be PS_SHOP. However, it may differ depending on how you configure the table names for your installation (as it was in yours since you used “qjg” instead of “ps”).
First, we did revisit this article for a possible update. The PS_SHOP_NAME is not a file, it’s a table entry in the PS_CONFIGURATION table as per the above documentation. If you were to change the ps_shop name, it would NOT affect the name of the PrestaShop Storefront. You will need to make the changes as they are listed above. The EASIEST way to change the store name is to go into the PrestaShop Dashboard, then go to PREFERENCES>Store Contacts then scroll down to SHOP NAME. When you change the shop name there and save it, you will see the changes applied through the PrestaShop store.
The article has been updated for easier reading.
I say save the site name and email address, change the settings menu. When I update the page comes reinstated.
How can I change the e-mail address with the php my admin as we change the site name.?
Thank you for contacting us. Yes, you can change your email address via PHPmyAdmin.
It is located in the employees table. Just replace the existing email address with the new one.
file is not called PS_shop_name
does not even exist in the database!!!
mine is qjg_shop
How to change your contack mail adress in PrestaShop 1.6 ???????????
To do so, click on Modules, and edit the block named Contact Information Block.
No, that still does not work. In fact I have had this issue since 1.5 on different projects I have worked on, even when it has been changed in the database it never seem to update the BO.
Thank you for your help!
That is very odd, it should change immediately for you or at least after clearing cache. Are you one of our customers? If so, I could try and take a look for you. I would need the domain name to do so, but I can remove it from a post before it goes public if you like.
I am still seeing “my ecommerce” in the top left of the BO, also at the end of page titles.
Strange thing is that when viewed in myphpadmin it does show the updated name.
Thanks for the quick response. The corner does get that info from the field that was changed. Try and clear your browser cache to see if that is the issue.
thanks for the guide. I changed it in BO, which did not work, followed your guide and the correct name is already in the field, but still will not display in BO.
I am happy your shop name changed on the front end. You say it is not showing the new name in the BO? In my testing I am seeing the new name in the BO. Where in the BO are you seeing the old shop name? If it is something I can identify and fix I would like to update the article.