Deprecated Settings File
There are multiple ways to reset the admin password for PrestaShop. One particular method described in our article “How to Reset the PrestaShop Administrator Password” is no longer feasible if you are running version 1.7. This is due to the fact that PrestaShop has deprecated the config/settings.inc.php file. This file was necessary to retrieve the COOKIE_KEY required for resetting the admin password. The file may still exist, however, this screen shot shows the deprecated version’s content:
As you can see, the file no longer contains the data needed to follow the old method. However, the following steps can be taken to reset the admin password.
Reset the Admin Password for PrestaShop 1.7
- First, navigate to your PrestaShop’s Front Office login page.
- Click on the “Sign In” link, located in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the “No account? Create one here” link.
- After you will in the required fields (first name, last name, email, and password), click SAVE. Be sure to make note of the password you are using, you will end up using this password to login as the admin.
- Open up phpMyAdmin and navigate to the database for your Prestashop installation.
- Open the ps_customer table and look for the user you just created.
- Copy the password field.
- Open the ps_employee table and look for your admin user.
- Paste the password you copied from the ps_customer table into the password field of the ps_employee for your admin user.
- Click Go to save your changes.
- Navigate to your PrestaShop admin login URL. Test your login to confirm the email address and password are combination work.
Thoughts on “How to Change the Admin Password in PrestaShop”
Great!!! you saved a ton of my work 😉
thank it’s working
Thank you for your reply. We are happy to see that the issue was resolved. Please let us know if you have any further questions and we will be happy to help!
I have the same problem PrestaShop 184.108.40.206
Simple and works this method!
Thank you! It worked! For the people who are having issues please check your presta shop version. If it is below 1.7 you must use another method.
So thanks, Great it is working!!
It’s Worked ! Great – Thanks
The idea is right and should work in principle. Previous commentors failed because some special characters have likely been lost during the copy-paste process. What one should do is rather use command line to do this action.
Something like :
did’t work!. I have prestashop_220.127.116.11.
I copied the password string from a new user who is not an administrator, but is a customer type. Maybe this is the problem!
You can also try changing the admin email in the database table, then request a password reset email.
I’m sorry to see this didn’t work for you. Which version of Prestashop are you currently running? Were there any errors along the way that can help in trouble shooting the issue further?