When working with your products in your PrestaShop 1.6 store, there is a lot of information that can be entered to describe your products. These are broken down into tabs on the left hand side of the main product page. One of these tabs, the Features tab, is where you will enter the different important selling points and/or specifications for your item.
What are Features?
Features are specific attributes of your product. This may be a size, such as the height and width of a TV, or it may be a type of material a shirt is made of, such as cotton. These features are displayed at the bottom of the product’s main page under the term Data Sheet.
Pre-defined Values vs Customized Values
When adding features to your products, you have a choice between selecting from a list of pre-defined values or to add custom values.
The left-hand side of the Features tab contains the predefined lists. These are dropdowns that contain values you can select. For instance, in the Compositions dropdown you will see selections like Cotton andLeather. If your product is made of one of these products, then select it from the list so it displays on the product’s Data Sheet.
If a feature has been created but no default values were given, there will be a link that says Add Pre-defined Values First. By default, the features Weight, Height, Depth, and Width appear but have no values to select from. This also occurs when you create a new feature but have yet to create values to choose from. You will either need to add values for the feature by clicking on the Add Pre-defined Values First or add a custom value for the features.
Customized value fields are displayed on the right hand side of the Features tab. This is helpful if you need to give a value to a feature that either has no pre-defined values listed or if the value you need is not in the pre-defined listing. For example, if you have a list of materials under Composition that mostly include clothing materials such as leather, cotton, and polyester, but you include a table that is made of oak, you can simply set the customized value field to ‘Oak‘.
How to assign features to a product
Getting to the tab is relatively simple.
- First, log into your PrestaShop admin area.
- From the admin dashboard, click on the Catalog link on the left hand menu, followed by the Products option.
- Now, from the main Product list page, find the product with which you want to manage features and click on the Edit button. This is found on the far right side of the product row.
- This brings up the product details section. The Information tab is one shown by default. Look to the left side menu and select the Features tab.
- Enter your features either by selecting values from the Pre-defined listings or by adding your own Customized Values.
- Once entered, click on one of the Save buttons to activate your changes.
Once you have saved your features, you can then visit your storefront. You will see that the feature will display on the product information page. You can see the ‘Composition‘ feature of our sample TV Stand displays as ‘Oak‘.