How to Add FreeSSL Certificates to Reseller Accounts
Reseller accounts are now able to add FreeSSL certificates to their customer accounts. The process for this involves the use of the WHM interface. FreeSSL certificates are added to accounts that have been assigned to specific account packages that include the AutoSSL in their respective feature lists.Here's a quick overview of the process for adding FreeSSL certificates to your reseller accounts:
- Create a Feature list that includes the AutoSSL feature.
- Create a Package in WHM. The package includes all of the options that added to an account cPanel interface. This will include the updated feature list.
- Modify the reseller accounts so that they include the updated package.
All of the steps below will require that you are logged in to WHM as the owner of the reseller account.
Creating a Feature List
- In the main WHM screen, click on the search window in the top left and type "Feature." This will bring up the Feature Manager option.
- If you're just starting there will be no feature lists to edit, so you will need to create one. If you have a feature list created and want to edit, go the drop-down menu to the right and select the list you wish to edit. Click in the New feature list name box and then click on the Add Feature List button.
- The feature list identifies everything that will be shown to the user in cPanel. If you are interested in selecting what belongs to each user, then go through the list and add every feature that you wish for the user to have. Otherwise, you can select on the option at the top of the page in order to select all of the features. The main thing that we're trying to do here is select AutoSSL in the list.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click SAVE in order to save your Feature list.
Creating an Account Package
- Next you will need to jump to the Packages section of WHM. Click on the search window at the top left hand side of the page then type, "Package." This will bring you to the Packages section of WHM. Note that if you have NOT created a package, then you will need to create a package in this section.
- Click on Add a Package, then name the package by typing in the field labeled Package Name.
- As a minimum, you will need to determine the allowed Disk Quota and Monthly Bandwidth allowed to the reseller account or the Package will not be created. Packages with unlimited Disk quota and bandwidth are not permitted.
- Once you have selected the resources allowed for the package you will need to configure the Settings. Among these settings is the option for selecting the Feature list (which includes AutoSSL). Scroll down until you you see the Settings.
- Click on the drop-down menu for Feature list. Select the Feature list that you created earlier.
- Click on ADD at the bottom of the page in order to save your settings.
How to Modify the account listed in WHM
Now that you have created the feature list and added to a package that can be assigned to account, your next step is to add the package the account where you want a free SSL to be applied (through AutoSSL).
Note that the addition of free SSL certificates to reseller accounts (the accounts created by the reseller) are added automatically. In order to control the accounts that receive free SSLs, the accounts in WHM would need to have the package updated to include the AutoSSL feature as per the steps above and below.
- In WHM, go to the Account section. To search for it in the search option of WHM (in the top left corner), type "list." This will bring you to the Account Information section. Click on List Accounts.
- Find the domain that you wish to work with and click on the "+" sign to the left of the account.
- Click on Modify Account.
- Scroll down and find the Resource Limits section. You will see the package currently assigned to the account at the top of that section. Click on Change in order to select a different package.
- The next screen will be titled Upgrade/Downgrade an Account. In the Available Packages section, click on the package you wish to use. If you hover it, then you will see a summary of the options that were configured in that package.
- If you are satisfied with your selection, then click on the button labeled Upgrade/Downgrade.
- You will then see a screen showing the changes that are applied to the account. Click on List Accounts in order to return to the list of accounts.
How to Verify a Free Certificate in cPanel
Once you have applied the package to the domain you will need to wait for the server to automatically apply the free SSL to the account. It may take up to 24 hours, but normally will take much less time. You can verify that a certificate has been applied by looking in the cPanel of the affected account.
- Log in to cPanel.
- Scroll to the Security section and click on the SSL/TLS icon.
- Under Certificates (CRT) click on the link labeled Generate, view, upload, or delete SSL certificates.
You will see a table listing the certificates applied to the domains listed in WHM. The FreeSSL certificate issuer is cPanel and the domains typically include the www and non-www versions of the domain as well as the mail server URL. AutoSSL certificates will automatically be updated, so the expiration date will be typically set 3 months out.
Support Center LoginOur Login page has moved, Click the button below to be taken to the login page.
Social Media Login
2017-11-29 8:05 pm
Is this supposed to result in a cPanel menu item inside customer accounts?
2017-11-29 8:58 pm
The steps in this guide will not add any menu options in cPanel. However, during the creation of your feature list, you can include:
to add those menu options to cPanel. You will need to ensure the cPanel account is assigned to the package that is using the feature list with those options, in order for them to appear in that user's cPanel. I hope this helps!
2017-11-14 9:59 pm
I do not see "AutoSSL" as an option when creating a new Feature List. Does this require root access? Any way to enable without root?
2017-11-15 10:29 am
If you're on a VPS or Dedicated server account then you will need root access in order to add the feature. These instructions are for reseller specific accounts. Only the account owner can access the feature list. There is no way to enable it without root access.