OpenCart 2.0 is the latest version of the ecommerce software. Unlike more general-purpose content management systems (CMSs) like WordPress, the OpenCart e-commerce software is focused entirely on helping you setup an online shop. You can quickly install it using the Softaculous option available in cPanel. This tutorial will step you through the process of installing OpenCart 2.0 (version 188.8.131.52) using Softaculous.
Installing OpenCart 2.x with Softaculous
- Login to cPanel.
- Scroll down through the cPanel and click on the Softaculous icon to proceed.
- In the menu at left, click on E-Commerce. You will then see a list of e-commerce programs on the screen. Note that OpenCart is only listed as OpenCart 1.5. Click on OpenCart 1.5 to install either OpenCart 1.5 or OpenCart 2.0.
- After clicking on OpenCart 1.5 you will see a screen describing OpenCart. In addition to the Install option, this screen provides an overview, features list, and import option. Click on Install to proceed.
- The Install screen includes several main sections: Software Setup, Store Settings, Database Settings, Admin Account and Advanced Options. Fill in each option to meet your installation needs. Each option is described below:
Software Settings Choose the version you want to install Allows you to select OpenCart 1.5 or 2.0 for installation Choose Protocol Choose HTTPS if you have a SSL certificate for your site Choose Domain Choose he domain name you will use for the site In Directory Directory where the install files are setup. This folder must not already exist. If you wish for the URL to be only the domain name, then leave this field blank. Store Settings Store Name This is your store name Store Description Describes your store Store Owner Name of the store owner Store Address Address of the store Database Settings Table Prefix Prefix used by the tables in the database. The default value is “oc_” Admin Account Admin User name User name for the Administrator login Admin Password Password used for the Administrator login Admin email Administrator’s email address First name First name of the Administrator Last name Last name of the Administrator Advanced Options Disable update notifications Check box for enabling or disabling notifications for updates in Softaculous Automated backups Select if you want a backup and how often you wish to do it (once a day, week, or month) Backup Rotation Allows you to set the backup rotation limit. This limits the number of backups that are made. Once it hits the limit, rotations overwrite the oldest backup. This can be set to unlimited, but remember that backups will take up disk space on the server Install button Clicking this button starts the installation Email installation details to: Add an email in this field if you wish for the installation details to be emailed to you
- Click on the Install button in order to start the installation process. If you wish to preserve the settings used for the installation, add an email to the field at bottom of the screen where the installation details would be sent.
This completes the tutorial for installing OpenCart 2.0 using Softaculous. The back end Administrator Dashboard and the store front will look like the following:
Default Administrator Dashboard
Default Store Front