Joomla 2.5 has reached its end of life as for 12/31/2014. Please be advised this may be a security risk to your website. You can view more information about the end of life here.
In this Joomla 2.5 tutorial, we will continue our discussion on Access Control Lists in Joomla by covering how to create a new User Group.
In this article, we will pretend that we’re making a website for a school, and there will be three types of users: students, teachers, and parents. Today, we’re going to create a new user group for teachers. This will allow us to segment teachers into their own group, and give those users different permissions than students and parents.
To create a new Joomla 2.5 ACL User Group:
- Log into your Joomla 2.5 Dashboard
- In the top menu, hover over Users >> Groups and then click Add New Group
- Enter a Group Title. In our example, we entered Teachers
- Choose a Group Parent. As we plan to allow our teachers to write new content, we will choose Publisher as the group parent.
- Click Save & Close
As you can see from our screenshot below, the Teachers Group now shows under the Publishers user group.
- We’ll now take a look at the rights our new Teacher group has. In the top menu, hover over Site and click Global Configuration. Click the Permissions tab, and then click Teachers.
As you can see from the screenshot above, the Teacher’s core permissions allows them to log into the front end of the site, create, and edit content.
Your next step will be to assign users to this new user group.