A very common task for website owners is the transferring of a website from one host to another. Fortunately, we have a way for a website to be moved for you. In order for website transfers to be done, you need to provide some information on the existing sites. Launch Assist is a service that is provided by InMotion’s Managed Hosting Team for VPS and Dedicated server subscriptions. Depending on your subscription type, you will get 2-4 hours of free service. This can cover the transition of your website from another location to the InMotion Hosting server. The guide below provides information and step-by-step instructions on how to use Launch Assist to request a website transfer.
- Launch Assist Time for Website Transfers
- What If You No Longer Have Launch Assist?
- How to Use Launch Assist for Website Transfers
- Finishing Your Website Transfer
Looking for a managed VPS that is secure and optimized for your website needs? Look no further than InMotion’s VPS Hosting for flexible and budget-conscious solutions.
Launch Assist Time for Website Transfers
All transfer requests are reviewed by the Managed Hosting Team. In the event that a website transfer or multiple website transfers require longer than the 2-4 hours of free Launch Assist time, then you will be notified of the issue including any additional costs and time required to complete the transfer(s).
Website transfers that are completed within the 2-4 hours of Launch Assist time that is provided to your VPS or Dedicated server account do not incur a charge as long as they are completed in that time frame. Additional costs for transfers are handled by the managed hosting team after reviewing each request. Typically, website transfers will include website files, media files, and/or databases as long as the appropriate information is provided. Two or three website transfers will normally fall within the 2-4 hour time period for transfer completion. In the event that your website transfer request exceeds that time, the managed hosting team will review your request to make sure that you are provided an appropriate estimate of the added time and additional cost required to complete the transfer.
What If You No Longer Have Launch Assist?
In the event that you no longer have Launch Assist available and you do not wish to purchase any more Launch Assist time, then you can still use the Website Transfer Request form in the Account Management Panel.
How to Use Launch Assist for Website Transfers
- Log in to your Account Management Panel (AMP).
- If your account has available Launch Assist time, then you should see the icon labeled Launch Assist Transfer Request. Click on this icon to proceed.
- You will see a page labeled Website Transfer Request: Step 1. You will need to complete each form entry blank with the most accurate information. The information you provide will allow the Managed Hosting team to contact you through email, find your website, and access it for the transfer. The Website Transfer Specialist will reach out to you regarding your request as soon as possible. The specialist will keep in contact with you until the completion of the website transfer request. When you have completed the form, click on the blue Submit button.
- Once you have submitted the form and it has been received, then you will receive a notification on the screen stating “Your request was successfully received.” It will advise you of an email that will be coming from the Managed Hosting team. Click on Confirm to acknowledge this notification.
At this point, our systems will automatically create a ticket for your website transfer request. This ticket will be assigned to and reviewed by a Website Transfer Specialist. They will send you a response to your request as soon as possible. The Website Transfer Specialist will be your primary contact for the transfer. They will work with you until the transfer is complete. The Managed Hosting department is available between 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM, Monday – Friday (EST). Make sure to watch for email communications from InMotionhosting.com and ensure that these messages are not being captured in your spam/junk mail filter.
Finishing Your Website Transfer
When you have provided all the information for your website transfer through the form and you have the reply from the website transfer specialist, the transfer will be set in motion. It should proceed without any problems, but there is always a possibility that something interrupts the process. If that is the case, you will be notified by the transfer specialist advising you of any issues. The specialist actions for the transfer include:
- Review and notation of the website transfer request.
- Contact the customer via email to acknowledge receipt of the request. Any added costs or time requirements will be noted at this point.
- Start of website migration.
- Review of the migrated website(s).
- Close of website transfer request ticket once the migration review is complete.
When you receive notice that the migration is complete your work is not complete. You should test your migration and complete any necessary re-direct or nameserver changes. Find out more by reading our article on how to Ensure a Successful Website Transfer.