IMAP folders may need to be manually assigned to a Mac Mail account in order to synchronize properly. The assigning of these folders is also known as Subscribing to IMAP folders. The following article explains how to find and configure this setting within the Mac Mail client.
NOTE: This article applies to Apple Mail used in OSX Mavericks (2013).
How to Add Folders to the Subscription List in Mac Mail
- Open your Mac Mail client.
- In the top left corner, click on MAIL in the menu bar, then select Preferences.
- Click on the Account Information
- Make sure that the first item is checked off. It should read: Enable this account.
- Next, click on the Advanced tab and click on the checkbox that reads Include when automatically checking for new messages.
- Close the Accounts window, then under the MAILBOXES column on the left-hand side control-click (or right-click) on the INBOX icon.
- Click on GET ACCOUNT INFO. You will see an ACCOUNT INFO window pop up like the one in the screenshot on right. Click on SUBSCRIPTION LIST. You will see the list of folders that are subscribed or not subscribed for synchronization with your IMAP account. You can select the folder and SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE with the buttons at the bottom left of the screen.
- Close the ACCOUNT INFO window, then click on MAILBOX in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click on Take All Accounts Offline. Wait for it to go offline, then click on Take All Accounts Online to complete the changes.
If you are looking for information on setting up the Apple Mail Client, please go to How to Set up Mac Mail. Also, for further information on email in general, check out our Email Category page in the Support center.
Subscribing to IMAP Folders using Mac Mail
In order to use IMAP folders for the Mac email client, you will need to set the IMAP Path Prefix and select the IMAP folders that Apple Mail will use. The instructions for these steps are found below.
How to Enter the IMAP Path Prefix
- Choose Preferences in the Mail menu.
- Click on Accounts.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Type in INBOX in the “IMAP Path Prefix” field.
Selecting the IMAP folders for Sent, Drafts, Junk, and Trash
- Select and then click on the IMAP folder you would like to use: Sent, Drafts, Junk, or Trash.
- Click on the Mailbox menu.
- Choose the corresponding mailbox that you would “Use This Mailbox For”.
Repeat these steps for any other folders you wish to store on the server.