- Obtaining the Instagram video embed code
- Adding the Instagram video embed code to your WordPress post
The power of social media is the power of sharing those moments that you want your friends and loved ones to experience with you. When Instagram added video to its line up, it became yet another element of social media that you may have wanted to bring to your WordPress website. In this tutorial, we will show you how easy it is to embed an Instagram video in your WordPress site.
We will be using the latest version of WordPress (version 5.2.2 as of this post) with the default editor. The WordPress editor does allow for the embedding of a lot of different formats including Instagram, but Instagram video is not one of those embed formats. However, don’t despair, it is possible!
Having trouble with your current hosting service for your WordPress site? Check out InMotion’s WordPress Hosting solutions for optimized and managed servers that put your mind at ease.
Obtaining the Embed Code
The first thing you will need to get is the embed code from Instagram.
1. Log in to your Instagram site.
2. Click on the video that you want to embed then look in the top right corner for the three-dot menu.
3. You will see a menu that includes the Embed option. Click on Embed.
4. Instagram graciously gives you the code that you can use to embed the video. The code will appear to be a single line, but it’s actually more than you think. Click on the button labeled <b>Copy the Embed Code</b>.
Instagram makes it easy to obtain the embed code! Next, we’re going to add the video to a WordPress post.
Adding the Embed Code to your WordPress Post
The default WordPress editor (known as Gutenberg) includes a way to add a custom HTML block. We will be using this block to embed the Instagram video into your WordPress post.
1. Log in to your WordPress Administrator Dashboard
2. Open or Create the Post where you want to add the video
3. Click on the + symbol to add a new block and then type “HTML” to find the Custom HTML block
4. After you select the block, paste the embed code into the block. It may look a little messy like this:
Surprise, you’re finished! As this process is pretty quick, click on Save Draft so that you don’t lose your work. You can click on Preview to see how it looks. Here’s an example of an embedded video:
Congratulations! You now know how to embed an Instagram video into your WordPress site. To find out more about using social media with WordPress, check out Social Media Sharing with Jetpack.