Joomla 4 user registration is disabled by default. For many website owners, this is a more preferred method to secure Joomla from cyber attacks and unauthorized users. This could become overwhelming for eCommerce sites and forums, though.
Fortunately, enabling Joomla user registration and custom registration forms is a painless process.
Allow Joomla 4 User Registration
- Log into your Joomla 4 administrator dashboard (e.g. https://example.com/administrator).
- Select Users from the sidebar, then Manage.
- In the upper-right corner, select Options.
- Select the toggle switch for Allow User Registration to state “Yes.”
- At the top, select Save. Your Joomla 4 login form will now have a “Create an account” option.
- The default option for New User Account Activation is “Administrator.” If you’d like users to be able to activate their account independently, select “Self”. Don’t forget to save changes.
The default Joomla 4 user registration requires a name, username, password, and email address.
Joomla custom user registration form options will require you to first enable the User Profile plugin, disabled by default.
- Select System from the sidebar.
- Under Manage, select Plugins.
- Search for and select “User – Profile.”
- In the upper-right corner of the pop-up window, select the Status drop-down menu and select Enabled.
- You may then add optional or required fields for user’s contact information, personal info, and more. You can also force users to read and agree to your terms of service (ToS) page if the Terms and Conditions plugin is configured properly. To simplify the user registration process, you can instead disable the additional information for registration and require it in the user profile fields with the bottom section of the plugin.
- Don’t forget to save changes.
Depending on your business, you may need to further configure Joomla 4 privacy settings for compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Learn more about how to manage your Joomla site with our Joomla 4 Education Channel.