Creating structures or table of contents in TikiWiki
The previous tutorial explained how to create pages in TikiWiki. In TikiWiki, pages can be organized into categories that make the subject easier to navigate. These categories in TikiWiki are called Structures. This allows the writer of the page to create multiple pages related to one subject.
This is a fast and user friendly way of organizing your TikiWiki content. This is similar to creating a book in that the structure is like a table of contents and the pages and sub pages are the content to the subject. Next we will create a structure in TikiWiki.
Creating a Structure in TikiWiki
In Tiki 9, Structures are enabled so you can create them by default. The following will explain how to make a tree style structure with pages and sub-pages in TikiWIki.
- Log into TikiWiki.
- On left side, hover over "Wiki" and select "Structures" from the menu.
- Select the "Create New Structure" tab. Here is where you will create the structure.
Enter the Structure ID and the alias for the structure, The tree is optional. You can leave that blank if you want.
Click Create New Structure.
- You should see a Feedback box saying the Structure was created.
Click the magnifying glass icon to view the new structure.
- The Structure will display nothing but an empty table of contents. To set the structure properties, click the puzzle and pencil icon.
- Here you can set the Structure of the Table of contents. Change the settings to reflect the type of tree you want to create.
In this case we we did the following:
- set the max depth to 3
- give the structure an ID of 1
- Made the order ascending
- Show description yes
- Show Numbering yes
- Type is plain
- Page Name Getting Started with HTML
- Now you will be back to the main structure page. Add a page to the structure.
You can add as many pages to the main structure you like.
- Next, Select one of the pages that you added to the structure. You can add pages to that page to create a sub page related to that page. (This will be clearer once you add the sub page to page.)
This concludes the tutorial on creatung stuctures in TikiWiki. Next, we will discuss how to format the content in TikiWIki.