There are many settings available for banners in Joomla 3.0. One such setting, which we discussed in our last article, is adjusting your banner size. In this tutorial, we will review how you can control the window that banner clicks open up to.
This setting in Joomla is referred to as:
Target window when the link is clicked
The following options are available:
Below we have outlined the three target options that are avaiable for you to choose. We’ve also listed the HTML syntaxt that Joomla uses when you choose each of these settings.
Open in parent window
Normal link behavior. When the link is clicked, the user navigates to the new page in the current browser window
Open in new window
When the user clicks the link, the link appears in a new tab
Open in popup
After clicking the link, the URL opens up in an entirely different window
onclick=”window.open(this.href, ”,’toolbar=no,location=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=780,height=550′); return false”
Changing the banner target
This tutorial assumes that you’ve created a banner and are showing it with a banner module.
- Log into your Joomla 3 admin dashboard
- In the top menu, click Extensions and then click Module Manager
- In the list of modules on the page, click the banner module that you would like to work with
- Click the Basic Options tab at the top of the page
- Find the Target setting, choose your desired option to the right, and then click the Save button in the top left