If you’re not familiar with it, Softaculous is a utility provided within cPanel that allows your users to install applications onto their account. It’s a great tool since it not only tracks all of the installations and versions, but it also provide installation management for your users. However, what if you want to limit the list of programs that your users can install? Fortunately, this is easily done through the Softaculous interface in WHM.
If you’re looking for a Dedicated Server hosting solution, then check out the options provided by InMotion Hosting!
Note: In order to make these changes you will need to have root access to your VPS or Dedicated server.
Editing the Application list in Softaculous
- First, you will need to log in to WHM as a root user.
- Next, use the search field in the top left corner and type in “Plugins”.
- You will brought to the menu for plugins in the left column. Click on Softaculous – Instant Installs. Click on this link.
- You will then see the Softaculous screen. In the menu at left, click on Software.
- This will open up menus under it that include: General Scripts, Custom Scripts, Advanced Settings and Scripts Requirements. For the purpose of this tutorial we will look at how to change the scripts in the General Scripts section. Click on General Scripts.
- Once you click on General Scripts you will see a list of all of the application installation scripts that are available for use in cPanel. In the far right you will see two columns of checkmarks. The first column of checkboxes is used to enable or disable the availability of the scripts. the second column is used to pre-load the script. This makes the application load faster. Go through the list and enable or disable the scripts that you want to make available to your users.
- Once you’re done you can scroll to the bottom of the screen or to the top and click on the Update button to save your changes.
Congratulations! You can now change the list of installation scripts available to your users through Softaculous in cPanel.