Softaculous Instant Installer allows you to quickly install a list of programs – content management systems (CMS), frameworks, etc. – in cPanel accounts, import manually installed software, set up staging sites, and more.
Softaculous is free with Business Shared Hosting.
But the question for a Managed VPS / Dedicated server administrator is…
Yes, If You Want to…
- Enable cPanel users to quickly install web applications – WordPress, Drupal 8, Laravel, etc. – without dealing with SSH and long setup processes
- Force installed websites to use SSL (HTTPS) connections for better security
- Host a lot of WordPress sites and facilitate the use of specific plugins and themes for better security and performance
- View server-wide statistics for software installations to better understand which web applications to focus on in newsletters to cPanel users and resource monitoring
- Customize emails for cPanel users with specific software instead of emailing cPanel users separately
- Easily track and notify owners of outdated installations
- Easily demo new CMSs without having to install anything
- Make staging easier
- Make backups and auto-upgrades easier
No If You…
- Don’t want to force newly installed web applications to use SSL (HTTPS) connections
- Your cPanel users don’t install new web applications often and are comfortable with SSH, FTP, and manual installations
- Don’t host a lot of WordPress websites or need to encourage certain plugins
- Use a web analytics program already – Matomo, Google, Mixpanel, etc.
- Rarely send mass emails
- Don’t have to worry about outdated CMSs
- Have a preferred staging system or don’t need the feature
- Have a preferred backup setup
- Don’t want to pay more for your web hosting setup