In this tutorial, we will show you how to view and drop idle FTP connections in cPanel and limit your FTP connections in FileZilla. These steps should help fix or avoid the 421 Too many connections error.
Create all the FTP accounts you need with one of our Business Hosting plans.
Idle FTP Connections
What is / causes an idle FTP connection?
Idle FTP connections are caused when an FTP client opens multiple connections without closing the previous ones, or due to an incorrect setting.
With VPS, Dedicated, and Managed hosting plans you can modify the number of simultaneous connections allowed in their WHM and the default setting is usually 8 or 10. Increasing this limit will prevent the error messages that we’ll review later in this tutorial. Our Shared and Reseller plans allow up to 8 simultaneous FTP connections from 1 IP address at a time, but you cannot raise this limit.
Response: 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP
If your FTP client is using more than 8 connections at the same time, you’ll get an error message similar to this:
Response: 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP Error: Could not connect to server
Viewing / Closing Idle Connections in cPanel
- Login to cPanel.
- Click FTP Session Control in the Files section.
- You will then see a list of all your current FTP connections. Click the Disconnect link in the Actions column.
- You will see a message similar to “Are you sure you want to disconnect email@example.com FTP user?.” Click Disconnect to proceed.
You are finished when you see a message like this:”The FTP session with PID 27510 was terminated. “
Limiting Simultaneous Connections in FileZilla
- Open FileZilla.
- Access the Site Manager.
- Click your site, then select the Transfer Settings tab.
- Check the box for Limit number of simultaneous connections and set the Maximum number of connections to 8.
- Click OK. Now when you are using FileZilla, it will not allow you to go over your limitation of 8 simultaneous FTP connections.
Congratulations, now you know how to drop idle FTP connections in cPanel and limit your FTP connections in FileZilla. We also have helpful guides on how to Enable Logging in FileZilla, Troubleshooting FileZilla Error Logs, and Managing your files in FileZilla.