Need to test software updates, a new design, or code changes? Quickly make a copy of your site with the new Softaculous Staging tool. Then you can do it all without touching your live website. When you are finished you can push the Staging site to another location or even replace your live site. Follow along and learn how to make an exact copy of your website using this news Softaculous Staging tool.
Did you know? Not all hosting companies provide free access to cPanel. InMotion does and it’s just one of the many features of our various web hosting plans.
Create a Staging Site
- Log into cPanel.
- Click the Softaculous Apps Installer link in the Software section.
- On the top-right of the screen, click the file folder so you can view all Softaculous installations.
- You will see every site that is in Softaculous. Click the Create Staging button next to the site you want to use.
- On the Staging WordPress page choose your site protocol. Options are https://, https://www, https://, and https://www
Note: Since all InMotion Hosting plans include free SSL’s we recommend using one of the https options.
- Choose the domain you want to set up the staging site on from the drop-down menu.
- If you want to install the staging site in a directory, enter it in the available field. For example, if you enter ‘test’ in the field you would have to navigate to ‘example.com/test’ to visit the site.
- If you want to set the name of the testing site’s database, enter it in the available field.
- Click the Create Staging button. You are finished when you see a message stating “Congratulations, the staging was created successfully.”
Now you know how to make a copy of your site for testing using the new Staging tool from Softaculous! In the next guide, we’ll show you how to push the staging site to live.