If you have enabled iOS Mail Push notifications in WHM, your server will be set up to send Push notifications (for new emails) to your iOS device. Once you have created and installed the Apple Push Notification service (APNs) Key, you must then change your Account Settings in your iOS device to allow Push notifications.
Note: This guide was updated to match the latest version of iOS version 15.2.1.
In this guide, you will learn how to enable push notifications on iOS devices.
How to Enable Push Notifications
- Tap on the Settings icon from your Home Screen.
- Scroll to find and tap on Mail.
- Tap on Accounts.
- Under your list of accounts you will need to click on Fetch New Data.
- Find the toggle next to Push. The toggle button will display green when this option is enabled. If the toggle button is not green, tap on it to enable it. After you have enabled push (or turned it off), make sure that your FETCH settings are selected at the bottom of the screen.
As per the note that Apple provides, the schedule for FETCH is only used when PUSH is OFF or for applications that do not support PUSH. You can improve your battery life by fetching less frequently.
- Note that there is no SAVE button. You save your changes by exiting the screen by tapping Accounts in the top left corner.
Once you have enabled Push through the settings on your iOS device, it is recommended that you close and then restart the Mail App, to ensure this setting is updated immediately. If the Mail App was not previously opened, then you can simply open the Mail App and the new schedule should take effect.
How to Close an App
To close an App (iOS device with Home Button): double-tap the iOS device’s Home Button and swipe through your open Apps to locate the Mail App. Simply swipe up to close the App.
To close an App (iOS device without Home Button): Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, hold your finger on the screen when you reach the middle and your open Apps will display. Tap and hold any App until you see a red “x” in the top left of each open App. You can swipe through your open Apps, to find the Mail App. Swipe to drag the App up, to close it.
Congratulations, you should now know how to enable push notifications on iOS devices.