While Discord is popularly used on desktop and laptop computers, it is also widely used on mobile devices. By installing Discord on your iOS or Android device, you can stay in touch with your Discord communities no matter where you are. In this article, we will explain how to install Discord on your iOS or Android device as well as outline how you can set up two-factor authentication to protect your Discord account.
Installing Discord on Mobile
- Before beginning these steps, set up a Discord account if you do not already have one.
- Visit the Google Play Store or App Store on iOS and search for Discord.
- On the page for the Discord app, press Download or Get to install the app.
- Once the app is finished installing, open it and log in using your Discord account information.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed Discord on your mobile device!
Enabling Two-Factor Authentication for Discord
For an added layer of security, enabling two-factor authentication (2FA) is an easy way to keep unauthorized users from accessing your Discord account and associated communities. In order to use this feature, you will need to have an authentication app such as Google Authenticator or Authy. For the purposes of this guide we will use Google Authenticator.
- To enable two-factor authentication, tap your Discord profile picture to open the User Settings menu.
- In the User Setting menu, select My Account to open the account management menu.
- Under the My Account menu, select the Enable Two-Factor Auth button.
- The next page will provide you with instructions on how to set up the authentication using the code displayed under the section labeled 2FA Key (Manual Entry).
- If you are using the Google Authenticator app, it will prompt you to input a code or scan a barcode. Select the option to input a code and input the 2FA Key provided by the Discord instructions.
- After entering the 2FA Key, the Google Authenticator app should give you a 6-digit authentication code that you will then enter in the bottom section of the Discord 2FA menu. Once you’ve entered the code, press Activate to enable 2FA using Google Authenticator.
Adding SMS Authentication
In addition to 2FA via Google Authenticator, you can add your mobile number to use it as another authentication method via SMS messaging services.
- After enabling the 2FA functionality in Discord via the above steps, you should receive a prompt to Enable SMS Authentication. Select Add Phone Number to begin this process.
- On the next screen you will be prompted to enter your phone number. Once you press send, a text message will be sent to your phone with a 6-digit code.
- On the next screen, enter the 6-digit code you received via text to enable SMS authentication.
Congratulations, you have successfully set up 2FA and SMS Authentication for your Discord account!
Now that you know how to install Discord on your mobile device and use it to secure your account via 2FA, you can securely access your favorite Discord communities no matter where you are.