How do I obtain an SSL certificate?
In this tutorial:
For more information about SSL certificates and when you might need one for your website, please see our article: What is SSL and why is it important?
Please note, the following information is for customers ordering an SSL through InMotion Hosting. If you have (or will be ordering) an SSL from a separate (third party) SSL vendor, please see our article on requesting installation of a third party SSL.
Shared SSL Certificates
If you are on a shared server (business class hosting), you will have access to the shared SSL certificate on the server. To access this, you can create https links in your website files that use the secure server name. The secure server name is always 'secure##', with ## being the number of your server. Your server number is listed in your account's technical details in AMP.
For example, if you are on the server biz30.inmotionhosting.com and your username is 'userna1', your secure URL will be:
Please note that the above URL will be visible when visitors hover over links on your website.
Please keep in mind that if you use the shared SSL, every link will need to use the same link structure as above. Shared SSL's only only work using the URL format shown above (https://secure##.inmotionhosting.com/~userna1).
For more information specifically on Shared SSL certificates, please see our article on How does the shared SSL work?.
Dedicated SSL Certificates
In this section:
To have the SSL certificate installed, you first must remove domain privacy from the domain. If your domain's registered at a different registrar, contact them for assistance removing domain privacy. Also, make sure the WHOIS information on your domain matches the information for the SSL certificate and that there is no privacy on the domain. SSL certificate requests sent to our certificate provider that have mismatching information will NOT be processed.After completing the SSL installation, our support team will send you an email with more information.
Our Dedicated SSL certificates are 256-bit encrypted Comodo SSL certificates and are only $99.99 per year. Certificates require a Dedicated IP address for $2.00 per month. This $2.00/month fee is waived if the Dedicated SSL certificate is purchased through InMotion Hosting. There is also a one-time $25 installation fee for all SSL certificates.
When a dedicated SSL is installed, a new IP address must be assigned and may cause intermittent issues until it fully propagates, which can take up to 24 hours.
How to Order an SSL from AMP:
- Login to AMP (Account Management Panel).
- Under "Additional Services" click on Other.
- Select your hosting plan you wish to purchase the SSL for.
- Next, click on Request SSL Certificate Purchase.
- On the next screen, select the SSL Certificate's subscription length (ie 1 or 2 years). Also enter the Desired Certificate Name. Generally secure. or www. are the most common certificate names, followed by the domain name. For example, a certificate for our website would read www.inmotionhosting.com. When you are done click Next.
- Enter the contact information for the owner of the SSL certificate. Note that Comodo will check the information you submit against the information given in a WHOIS lookup, and it must match. If they don't match, you will either need to change your whois information or change the contact information you are entering.
- Finally, after hitting Next you can choose how you want the SSL billed. Once you have completed the form, clicking Submit will send the information to our support department.
How Long before the SSL is installed?Typical turn-around time is up to 48 hours, but there are many reasons why an SSL may take longer to be issued. If this SSL is critical for your business, I recommend allotting up to 2 weeks for this process, in case you run into any issues.
How Do I Know When the SSL Installation is Complete?Tech Support will send you an email immediately after installing your SSL successfully. The email will go to your primary email address on file, which you can update in AMP.
Obtaining the image and code for your Secure Seal
After you get the SSL set up you can show the Secure Comodo Seal on your website. For more information, see our full guide:
Thank you for your feedback!