How do I obtain an SSL certificate?Written by Brad Markle
For more information about SSL certificates and when you might need one for your website, please see our article: What is SSL and why is it important?
Please note, the following information is for customers ordering an SSL through InMotion Hosting. If you have (or will be ordering) an SSL from a separate (third party) SSL vendor, please see our article on requesting installation of a third party SSL.
Shared SSL Certificates
If you are on a shared server (business class hosting), you will have access to the shared SSL certificate on the server. To access this, you can create https links in your website files that use the secure server name. The secure server name is always 'secure##', with ## being the number of your server. Your server number is lsted in your account's technical details in AMP.
For example, if you are on the server biz30.inmotionhosting.com and your username is 'userna1', your secure URL will be:
Please note that the above URL will be visible when visitors hover over links on your website.
Please keep in mind that if you use the shared SSL, every link will need to use the same link structure as above. Shared SSL's only only work using the URL format shown above (https://secure##.inmotionhosting.com/~userna1).
For more information specifically on Shared SSL certificates, please see our article on How does the shared SSL work?.
Dedicated SSL Certificates
You can order a dedicated SSL in your Account Management Panel (or AMP). The SSL certificate issuer we use is Comodo. You can read more about Comodo here. If you have any trouble logging into AMP, please see our article on how to log into AMP.
Very Important! Make sure the WHOIS information on your domain matches the information for the SSL certificate and that there is no privacy on the domain. SSL certificate requests sent to our certificate provider that have mismatching information will NOT be processed.
Once you have logged into AMP, to order a dedicated SSL:
- Under "Additional Services" click on Other.
- Select your hosting plan you wish to purchase the SSL for.
- Next, click on Request SSL Certificate Purchase.
- On the next screen, select the SSL Certificate's subscription length (ie 1 or 2 years). Also enter the Desired Certificate Name. Generally secure. or www. are the most common certificate names, followed by the domain name. For example, a certificate for our website would read www.inmotionhosting.com. When you are done click Next.
- Enter the contact information for the owner of the SSL certificate. Note that Comodo will check the information you submit against the information given in a WHOIS lookup, and it must match. If they don't match, you will either need to change your whois information or change the contact information you are entering.
- Finally, after hitting Next you can choose how you want the SSL billed. Once you have completed the form, clicking Submit will send the information to our support department.
To have the SSL certificate installed, you first must remove domain privacy from the domain. If your domain's registered at a different registrar, contact them for assistance removing domain privacy. After completing the SSL installation, our support team will send you an email with more information.
Obtaining the image and code for your Secure Seal
After you get the SSL set up you can show the Secure Comodo Seal on your website.
Important! You can get the image and code for your SSL certificate to display on your website at the following url:
How do I show the secure seal for my site?