How to Force SSL in Joomla 3.0Written by Brad Markle
Another Joomla 3.0 Server Setting that is available is Force SSL.
|Description of the Force SSL Option||Available Options for Force SSL|
As the options imply, you can force SSL for either your entire website, or only for your /administrator pages.
To set the Force SSL option in Joomla 3.0
- Log into your Joomla 3.0 Admin Dashboard
- In the left menu, click the Global Configuration link
- There will be several tabs at the top of the page. Click the Server tab.
- Under the Server Settings heading, find the option labeled Force SSL. Use the drop down menu to the right of the setting to select the option you want, and then click the Save button in the top left of the page.
If you don't have SSL enabled for your domain name, you will immediately get an error upon saving. This potentially can lock you out of your website! To fix this issue, continue reading.
What to do if you're locked out of Joomla 3.0 because of this SSL Setting?
If you enabled the Force SSL option, and you've become locked out of your website, follow these steps to restore the normal, non-ssl setting.
- Open for edit the Joomla 3.0 configuration.php file
- Find a line that looks similar to this:
public $force_ssl = '2';Change this setting so that it has a value of 0, as in:
public $force_ssl = '0';Save the changes to the file. You should be able to access your site once again.
If you have any trouble changing the settings to the file, the file may not have any write permissions, so the file's permissions may need to be updated.
Configuring Server Settings in Joomla 3.0
|1.||How to change the path to your Temp Directory in Joomla 3.0|
|2.||How to use Gzip Page Compression in Joomla 3.0|
|3.||Joomla 3.0 Error Reporting|
|4.||How to Force SSL in Joomla 3.0|
|5.||Joomla 3.0 Server TimeZone|
|6.||Configuring FTP Settings in Joomla 3.0|
|7.||How to change Database Settings within Joomla 3.0|
|8.||Changing Email Settings in Joomla 3.0|