In this guide we will show you how to setup Google Authorship, which allows you to link your Google+ profile to the content you write. It will also list the website in the Contributor To section of your Google+ profile. There are two methods for setting up Google Authorship, in this tutorial we will show you how to setup both options.
Setting up Google Authorship with an Email Address
If you have an email address setup at the domain you are a contributor to, you can just enter your email address, then click the link in a confirmation email. For instance, if you are a contibutor to example.com, and have the email address firstname.lastname@example.org you can use this option for confirming your authorship.
- Login to Google+, then navigate to the Google Authorship page. Here is the address:
- Enter your email address in the available field (Step 4), then click the Sign up for Authorship button.
- Check your Inbox for an email from the Google+ team, and click the verification link.
- As per the official Google Authorship setup guide, you must “Make sure that each article or post you publish on that domain has a clear byline identifying you as the author (for example, “By Steven Levy” or “Author: Steven Levy”).“
Setting up Google Authorship with a Link
If you are unable to verify your Google Authorship with an email address at the domain, the alternate option is to verify by linking to your Google+ profile in an article. This is a two-step process.
Link to your Google+ Profile
- In the article that you authored, add a link to your Google+ plus profile with the following code (be sure to replace the asterisks (*) with your Google+profile address):
When you are finished, it should look similar to this:<a href=”https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JohnPaulBriones?rel=author”></a>
Link to your Article
- Log into your Google+ account.
- Go to the About page, for your profile.
- Click the Edit button, in the Links section.
- Click Add custom link in the Contributor to section.
- Enter a name for the link, and put the link to your article. Then, click the Save button when you are finished.
Congratulations, now you know how to setup Google Authorship, allowing you to link to your published articles in the Contributor To section of your Google+ page! If you are interested in to the InMotion Hosting Support center, you can publish articles here, and they will be displayed on this page.