You don’t need to create an account with Asana or Trello, or add a plugin for WordPress or Nextcloud, to benefit from kanban project management. Kanboard is free, open source software (FOSS) you can self-host to visualize multiple projects with teams (called groups) privately or publicly.
Kanboard only requires PHP to work. This allows you to maintain a minimal server environment on Linux cloud servers while managing projects.
Below we cover Kanboard kanban:
Secure cPanel and customize your server for your needs with our Managed VPS Hosting.
Install Kanboard Kanban
Managed VPS/Dedicated server users can purchase Softaculous from Account Management Panel (AMP).
Create a Project Task
You’ll need to create your first project, or board, before you can add tasks.
- Log into your Kanboard installation.
- Select New project.
- Add a Name and Identifier, then select Save.
- In the upper-left corner, select Board.
- You’ll have 4 preset columns, or lists – Backlog, Ready, Work in progress, and Done. Select the + icon to the right of a column name to add a new task.
- You’re only required to add a task title. However, you should add at least a description text (in Markdown), assignee, and priority to start.
- Once complete, select Save.
Tasks will show the following information from the board view:
- Task number
- Assigned tags
- Related links
- A text file icon that shows the task description when you hover your cursor over it
- Task age
- Time task has been in the current column
- Task priority (e.g. P0)
Select the down-arrow beside the task number to make quick changes. Or click anywhere in the colored area for all task management options.