How to Change the Header Banner Image in WordPress
Modern WordPress themes have the capability to edit the header, footer and other theme areas within the Appearance section of the WordPress dashboard. This article will explain how to change the banner in the header of your WordPress site. The Theme we will use in this example is the "Twenty Twelve theme". Other themes use the same steps to edit the banner.
Optimize your WordPress websites by using InMotion Hosting's WordPress Hosting solution.
Steps to Change the Header Banner
- Log into the WordPress Dashboard.
- Navigate to Appearance > Header.
- To upload a new banner, click the browse button. Find your banner on your local computer and click the upload button.
Important! Keep in mind the banner must be made to the size the Theme requires. In this example, the Twenty Twelve theme requires the size to be 960px wide by 250px height. Each theme will have their own image size requirement. Note: The option to modify the header in the theme depends on the theme that you are using. Some themes do not have a header, so you will not see the option in the menu.
- You will be taken to the Crop Header Image page. You can adjust the size of the image and click Crop and Publish. You can also skip the Cropping and Publish the image as is.
- You will see the preview of the site with the banner.
You are NOT logged in. You can still browse our Support Center.
To participate within our Community Support Forum:
Changing the Wordpress Appearance
2018-03-09 3:25 pm
Under "appearance" I only have a "footer" edit. Ther is no "header" button?
2018-03-09 3:37 pm
Unfortunately, this article is outdated. Newer versions of WordPress and sometimes particular themes may have this option elsewhere. Most commonly, you should be able to go to the Appearance > Customize then from the Customizer options, select Header or Advanced Settings > Header. It really depends on the theme and WordPress version. I hope this helps though!