In this Magento 1.6 installation guide, we’ll show you how to install Magento and get your store up and running in no time. Since Magento 1.6 is going to be manually installed without the use of a third party installer, there are quite a few steps, however, the installation process is quite easy.
Please see our Magento Tutorials for further information on setting up your Magento 1.6 shopping cart.
Setting up a Database
Log into cPanel and using the MySQL Database Wizard, set up a blank database for your new Magento installation. Be sure to make note of the database credentials as we’ll have to use them later on in the installation process. Here’s the credentials we’ve used:
|Databse User Password||***** ** (We’ve left out our password to protect the security of our database|
Download Magento Install Package
- Download the Magento install package from the Magento website: Magento Downloads page
- Under the “Full Release” section, select any of the files under “Select your format” and click “Download”
Now, using the cPanel File Manager upload the compressed package you just downloaded from the Magento website. Upload it in the same directory you wish to install Magento in. In our example we’re installing Magento in a subdomain called “magento.inmotiontesting.com” so we’re uploading the .zip file to the root folder for that subdomain.
- In File Manager, right-click on the .zip file and extract the file to the current location.
- This will create a folder called “magento”. We need to move the contents of the “magento” folder to the parent folder above. If we do not do this step our store will install in the “magento.inmotiontesting.com/magento” location instead of “magento.inmotiontesting.com”. Open the Magento folder, and “select all” files and folders.
- Right-click with the files selected and select “move”. Change the “move” location to the parent folder above the “magento” folder
Edit the .htaccess file in Magento
- In the root folder, find the .htaccess file and right click on it. Then choose “Edit”
- Find this line of code:
php_value memory_limit 256M
And change it to this:
# php_value memory_limit 256M
- Now, visit your new Magento 1.6 installation in your web browser. We installed ours in the subdomain “magento” so it would be: http://magento.inmotiontesting.com
- On the next screen, select the localization settings for your timezone, currency, and language
- Fill in your database credentials that you wrote down from the first step and click “Continue“
- Fill in the Admin Account Details and Click “Continue“
- On the next screen, Magento 1.6 will provide you with an encryption key. Copy the key down and store it in a safe place.
At this point, you’ve initially installed and configured your new Magento shopping cart. You can visit your website frontend or backend (commonly refferred to as the admin dashboard).
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question on our support center.