How to Create a CNAME Record
In this tutorial:
In this tutorial, we will show you how to create a CNAME record. CNAME records are a type of DNS record you can use to point a hostname elsewhere. While they aren't needed by most users, there are situations where you will want to create a CNAME record for your domain. Such as when you point a subdomain to WordPress.org. We will show you how to create the CNAME recod in cPanel as well as WHM.
Adding a CNAME Record in cPanel
- Log into cPanel.
- Click the Advanced Zone Editor button in the Domains section.
- Click the drop-down menu, and choose the domain you want to edit the DNS for.
- Click the drop-down menu under Type, and choose CNAME.
- You will then see Name, TTL, and CNAME options. Below is an example of the options:
Option Description Type CNAME Name test.example.com. TTL The default setting is 14400, or 4 hours. CNAME testexample.wordpress.com
Adding a CNAME Record in WHM
- Login to WHM.
- Click the Edit DNS Zone link in the DNS Functions section.
- Click the domain you want to create the CNAME for, then click the Edit button.
- Scroll to the bottom and you will see an Add New Entries Below this Line section. Click the Select drop-down menu, then click CNAME.
- In the first field enter your CNAME entry. In my example, I am entering: test
- Enter your Hostname in the available field, then click the Save button. In my example, I am entering example.com. (14400 will automatically be filled in the TTL section).
Congratulations, now you know how to create CNAME records in cPanel, and WHM.
Support Center LoginOur Login page has moved, Click the button below to be taken to the login page.
Social Media Login
2016-11-19 3:34 am
We have account on inomotion. I have created subdomains but after past few days the subdomains is not working. An error displays on screen says:
2016-11-21 6:33 pm
That type of error occurs when a DNS (Domain Name System) lookup fails. If they were working and recently failed, check your DNS records in the Advanced DNS Zone Editor in cPanel. If they are there, contact the Live Support team so they can look into it further.
2016-06-24 9:06 pm
thanks for the tutorial, I really need this for my hosting