The Mattermost online chat system allows you to do a lot before needing to install plugins or integrations. Many additional features are available but need to be enabled in the system console by an user with the system admin role.
This is the case with playing YouTube videos within Mattermost channels and threads. Audio/video media files uploaded to directly to Mattermost will show in a pop-up window. URLs to multimedia files will open a new tab. Below we cover:
- Enabling YouTube Embedding in Mattermost
- User Settings to Allow Link Preview
As of April 2020, Mattermost doesn’t support embedding Vimeo, SoundCloud, Spotify, Vlare, or Clyp.it media files.
Allow Embedding YouTube Videos in Mattermost
- Log into Mattermost as a system admin
- In the upper-left corner, select your username, then System Console
- Under Site Configuration, select Posts
- Beside Enable Link Previews, select true
- Save changes at the bottom
If you can’t enable link previews in the System Console, you’ll need to edit the raw configuration file.
- Log into SSH as root
- Edit your Mattermost configuration file:
nano +33 /opt/Mattermost/config/config.json
If this isn’t the location of your Mattermost configuration file, you can search for it with the
find / -name config.json | grep mattermost
- Beside “EnableLinkPreviews”, change
- Save your changes
Ask us how to enhance your web server security and performance with our Managed VPS Hosting.
User Settings to Allow Link Preview
Mattermost users can disable link previews for their individual workflow or network capabilities. This change applies to all channels and teams the user joins.
- Log into Mattermost
- In the upper-left corner, select your username, then Account Settings
- On the left, select Display
- Ensure Website Link Previews is set to On
- Select Save and link previews will disappear
If link previews are disabled, YouTube videos shared in the past may not disappear unless disabled by a system admin.
Is your Mattermost team collaborating on music production? Learn more about how to create musician’s website with WordPress.