You know WordPress themes are an important piece of WordPress site development. There are thousands of free and premium themes and searching for a theme may seem overwhelming. Moreso, you may be wondering how to even start searching for a WordPress theme.
Continue reading to learn about:
- How to Find a WordPress Theme
- Previewing, Installing, and Activating a Theme
Enjoy secure, fast hosting optimized for your WordPress website with our WordPress Hosting plans.
How to Find a WordPress Theme
Searching for a WordPress theme is easier than you may think. You can also preview the themes once you begin browsing the extensive library.
To find WordPress themes:
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Navigate to Appearance>Themes.
- Click on the Add New Theme box.
WordPress Theme Search Mechanics
Once you’re on the WordPress themes search screen in your dashboard, you can start searching for themes using the many mechanics available to you. If you don’t have an idea of what you want, we recommend clicking on Featured, Popular, Lastest, and Favorites at the top as these options which will show you the most popular and up-to-date themes.
You can also use the Feature Filter to sort themes per your business and website needs. With the filter, for example, you can search specifically for education or eCommerce themes. You can also search for particular features like custom colors or footer widgets. You can even search by layout, specifying if you want a grid layout or maybe one, two, or three columns.
If you’ve already found a theme on the internet that you want to try, you can search for it using the Search theme box on the right-hand side, or upload it using the Upload Theme option.
Previewing, Installing, and Activating a Theme
It’s hard to imagine how a theme will look once activated, especially for new WordPress users. Luckily, you’re able to preview themes before you install and activate them.
- From the theme search screen, hover your mouse over the theme you’re interested in, then click Preview. You’ll then be taken to a preview screen for the theme.
- If you like the theme, you can install it from the preview screen or the search screen by clicking Install.
- To activate the installed theme, click the newly rendered Activate button. It will replace the Install button.