Blogging is an important, effective way to increase traffic and engagement on your WordPress website. Moreso, by adding recent posts to your homepage, you can encourage retention by showcasing your dynamic content front and center.
In this article, we’ll show you how to easily display recent blog posts on your WordPress homepage. The instructions in this article can also be used to add recent blog posts to inside pages.
Enjoy fast, secure hosting optimized for your WordPress site with our WordPress Hosting plans.
Using Gutenberg Block
One of the easiest ways to display recent blog posts on your WordPress Homepage is with the Lastest Post Gutenberg block. The Lastest Post block can also be added to your inside pages as well. To add the block:
- Login to your WordPress website
- Navigate to Pages>All Pages
- Click Edit to edit your Homepage
- Click the + sign in the upper left corner to create a new block
- Select Widgets>Lastest Posts
- Once the block as been added, you can configure how much text is shown, enable the thumbnail images, set the number of posts that will be displayed, and more
- You can move the block up or down by using the controls on the left side of the block
- Click Update to save your changes
Using Widget Area
If your theme provides prime widget real estate, you may want to utilize a widget area for your recent blog posts. You can easily do this by using the built-in WordPress Recent Post widget. To add the widget:
- Login to your WordPress website
- Navigate to Appearance>Widgets
- Find the Recent Posts widget, then drag and drop it in the desired widget area
- Once added, you can add a title, set the number of posts to show and more
- Click Save to complete the changes
However, unlike the Lastest Post block, the Recent Posts widget is limited and does not allow you to enable the display of blog featured images. Luckily, this can be done easily with the WordPress Popular Posts plugin, Smart Recent Posts plugin, or the Recent Posts Widget With Thumbnails plugin. All three plugins are free and once installed, can be enabled using the instructions above. Of note, the WordPress Popular Post plugin can also be used to add blog posts to pages with a shortcode.
Using a Shortcode
If you aren’t using Gutenberg and would rather have your blog posts live on the page instead of a widget, you can use a plugin with a shortcode. There are many free recent post plugins to choose from, but here are a few free plugins you can try:
- WP Responsive Recent Post Slider/Carousel
- Category Posts Widget
- Content Views — Post Grid & List for WordPress
- PE Recent Posts
Remember, the above can also be used to add recent blog posts to inside pages in addition to the homepage.
To make your homepage stand out even more, Choose the Style of Your WordPress Homepage.
Once you’ve successfully added your recent blog posts to your WordPress website, learn more WordPress tips and tricks to increase your website engagement!
Thoughts on “How to Display Recent Blog Posts on WordPress Homepage”
I loved your blog article, very amazing and thanks for sharing it!!! 🙂
Can you share information about Post display home page, Not Pages.
Hello Remideboc – This really depends on the version of the theme and WordPress that you’re using. If you’re using a pre-Gutenberg interface, the home page will have a customization page with a column for changes on the left side of the screen. Gutenberg-based (or block-based) themes will utilize the site editor using blocks, templates, and template parts for the display of elements on your home page. Pre-Gutenberg themes will generally have a way for you to select POSTS or STATIC page for your home page. The block-based site editor used with the newer version of WordPress uses a block to display posts. You would have to edit the front page with the site editor to determine if you’re posting Posts or a specific “page.”
This was really helpful.
Very informative article. Do i also need to install Jetpack for this feature ?
Hello and thanks for contacting us. You don’t need Jetpack for any of these features.