While Discord is available for use in your favorite web browser, the number of features available may be limited. To get the full Discord experience, you will need to download the Discord software to your local machine. Even though Discord can be installed on most popular operating systems, this guide will focus on how to install Discord on your Windows computer. Before installing this software, please ensure that you have taken the time to create a Discord account.
Topics will include:
Install Discord and join communities that can help you get the most out of your Cloud Server Hosting plan!
- To download Discord, go to discordapp.com.
- Then, click Download for Windows.
- The download will commence. Once it is finished, open the DiscordSetup.exe program to start the installation process.
- The program will then begin to install and download any required updates.
- The program will then ask you to login using your Discord account.
- After entering your login information, you will now be logged into the Discord software.
- To ensure that your microphone and speakers are connected to the program, click on the small gear on the bottom left side of the Discord homepage to access User Settings.
- On the next page, click on Voice & Video on the left-hand side of the page.
- On this page, use the drop-down menus at the top to select which devices will be used with Discord. The input device will be your webcam or headset microphone, while the output device will be your speakers or headphones.
- In addition to changing the devices, you can also adjust the input volume to adjust how loudly your voice is transmitted over Discord as well as the output volume to adjust how loudly other users’ voices will be played back via your speakers or headphones.
- Next, you will want to choose your microphone input mode:
Push-to-Talk: Allows you to designate a button on your mouse or keyboard to act as a Push-to-Talk key, meaning that you will have to press that button to transmit your voice over Discord.
Voice Activation: Allows you to simply start speaking in order to start transmitting your voice. The volume at which the microphone activates is determined by the “Input Sensitivity” slider below the input modes.
Now that you have all of your input and output devices configured, you are all set to start using Discord!