While Discord itself is completely free-to-use, it is possible to sign up for a subscription service called Discord Nitro that unlocks a number of advanced features and perks that can enhance your Discord experience. In this article we will discuss the features of Discord Nitro and outline how you can get started with this service using your existing Discord account.
- What is Discord Nitro?
- How to Set Up Discord Nitro
What is Discord Nitro?
As mentioned previously, Discord Nitro is an add-on subscription for Discord that adds a number of new features to your account. Increased file upload size, better screen-sharing image quality, and animated emojis are just a few examples of how Discord Nitro can enhance your Discord experience. While the free version of Discord has a number of useful features, you may find some of the limitations too restrictive, particularly if you run your own Discord server. At present there are two plans available, Discord Nitro Classic and Discord Nitro.
Discord Nitro Classic vs Discord Nitro
While Discord Nitro contains all of the latest features and newest perks offered by the Nitro service, Discord Nitro Classic is still offered at a reduced price, minus the newer features and perks such as server boosting. A Discord Nitro subscription costs $9.99/month or $99.99/year, while a Discord Nitro Classic subscription costs $4.99/month or $49.99/year.
Discord Nitro Features
Once you sign up for Discord Nitro, your account will have access to the following features:
Better Emojis – Enhanced support for custom emojis as well as animated emojis. Animated emojis are a unique way to communicate with any server you join, and are only available to Discord Nitro subscribers
Increased File Upload Size – By default, Discord only supports file uploads smaller than 10MB. With Discord Nitro, this size increases to 100MB, allowing you to send much larger files over Discord such as PDFs. With Discord Nitro Classic, the file upload size is only increased to 50MB.
HD Video – While the free version of Discord supports screen-share streaming and video calls, the video quality is relatively low. Discord Nitro Classic supports high-resolution video, giving you clearer video calls and streaming sessions. Discord Nitro enhances this with source-based video quality, meaning the video quality is the same as the quality of the streaming source
Server Boosts – Signing up for Discord Nitro gives you two free server boosts. These server boosts can be used to unlock unique benefits for the server of your choice. When a server gets enough boosts, new features can be unlocked such as additional slots for custom emojis or enhanced video quality for all users on the server.
How to Set Up Discord Nitro
- To add Discord Nitro to your account, first ensure that you are logged into your Discord account.
- Once logged into your Discord account, access the User Settings menu by clicking on the gear icon to the bottom left of your Discord homepage, to the right of your Discord avatar and username.
- Once in the User Settings menu, click the Discord Nitro tab.
- On the Discord Nitro page, click the Subscribe button.
- This will then open a new page prompting you to sign up for either Discord Nitro Classic or Discord Nitro.
- After selecting which plan you want, you will be prompted to input your payment information.
- After entering your payment information, the process will finish and the subscription will be active.
Congratulations, you have successfully signed up for Discord Nitro or Discord Nitro Classic!