ICANN domain transfer policies have changed as of 1 December 2016. Updates to whois information are considered a change of ownership and may warrant a 60-day transfer lock.
Please be aware that if you do not complete the steps for transferring your domain away in OpenSRS then the domain will remain under the management of InMotion Hosting.
Transferring a domain away from InMotion Hosting requires several steps. InMotion Hosting is a reseller of domain registrations using a domain registrar named OpenSRS. We will walk you through the steps of transferring a domain away from our registrar below. Please make sure all DNS changes are final before attempting a transfer.
Requirements for Transferring a Domain to another Domain Registrar
A domain transfer will only process when all of the requirements have been met. A common need that is often forgotten is the access to the administrator email address. Insure that you can see the emails sent to this email address before transferring a domain. Here is the list of requirements for transferring a domain away from our domain registration:
- A domain cannot be transferred within 60 days of initial registration
- A domain cannot be transferred within 14 days of its expiration date
- Domain privacy must be removed before the transfer can be processed
- You must have access to the administrator address listed with the domain’s WHOIS information
The official ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) documentation for these requirements is located here.
Steps to Transfer Domain away from InMotion Hosting
After you confirm that you meet the above requirements, please go through the following steps for your domain transfer:
- Contact our live Customer Service team to unlock your domain for a domain transfer to another domain registrar.
- Customer Service verifies that requests for a domain release meet the necessary requirements. Upon verification, they unlock the domain and send you an email titled, “Domain Management Rights Released – InMotion Hosting, Inc.”
- You will also get an email to reset the password used to log into the OpenSRS interface for their authorization code. Reset the password as necessary.
- When the password has been reset, log in to the OpenSRS interface at this URL – https://manage.opensrs.net.
- When you are in the OpenSRS interface, click on Domain Extras.
- Next, you will either approve a pre-entered code or input your authorization code in the Domain Authorization Information field. The domain authorization code is obtained when you follow the directions for releasing the domain.
- Click on Save Configuration after you have completed making your changes. If you need to stop the process, then click Cancel Changes.
This completes the process of transferring a domain away from InMotion Hosting. Please note that domain transfers may take 7-10 business days to complete.