If you’re lost and you need to get somewhere, you typically have two choices: ask someone or use a map. If you’re a business owner with a physical location that you need people to find, then your best solution is to provide a map. Using a smartphone, you can now easily access directions through services like Google Maps. To make it easier, you can also mark your business address so that people do not have to search for the location. This ability to mark a location with a website can be a critical difference in helping people find your business.
Need a website for your business? Are you unsure of where to start? Check out the InMotion Hosting solution WordPress for Small Business
The following tutorial will focus on how to use BoldGrid Contact pages to provide a map marking your location in few quick and easy steps. We will also discuss how this can be done using third party plugins.
Using BoldGrid Contact Pages to Mark Your Location
BoldGrid provides a way for you to easily add a map with a marker for your business location. It’s a great way for people to find you through your WordPress website! Note: In order to use these directions you will need to have BoldGrid installed. You can easily have this done in your WordPress account.
- Log in to the BolGrid Administrator.
- In order to modify a contact page, you will need to have an Inspiration loaded. In the BoldGrid Dashboard, click on Pages in the menu at left. If you have just loaded an Inspiration or you’re in the Inspirations section you will also see the pages listed. You can click on the pencil icon to edit the page in that screen.
- Scroll through the pages that are listed and find a page labeled Contact Us. Click on the page title, or hover over the page title and click on Edit.
- You will see a Google Map under the listed Address. If your address was not set during the installation of the Inspiration, then the map will show the world. In order to edit the map, left-click on it to highlight it first. Note: If your Contact page does not include a map, then click on the “+” sign in the menu at the top of the page. If you hover over the plus sign it will be labeled Add Block Component. Scroll through the block types menu to the Media section and select Map. Skip the next two steps below if you are adding the map.
- Next, you should see an icon bar appear at the top of the page (under the editor toolbar). Click on the pencil icon. If you hover over this icon with your mouse pointer, it will be labeled Edit Map.
- This will open a page similar to the media library page, but labeled Google Map. You will have the option to select the map view or the satellite view. Click on one of these options and you will see the Preview column appear on the right-hand side.
- You will see field labeled Location Search. Click on this field and then type in your address.
- Click the Search button.
- Once Google finds your location on the map, you will see a marker appear on your location in the map. Note that any discrepancies to that location cannot be fixed by InMotion Hosting. You would need to contact Google to fix any issue with your address or location as it appears on the map. At the bottom right-hand corner of the page, you will see a button labeled Insert into page. Click on this button to add your location to the Contact Us page.
- Click on Save to Draft/Publish/Update in order to save your changes to the page.
And that’s it! It’s a few easy steps to add a Google map marking your business location with the BoldGrid Contact us page! The other way that you can use a Google Map is to use a WordPress plugin.
Using a Third Party Plugin to Mark your Business Location
There are many other ways to mark your location on a Google Map. These methods vary based on the numerous WordPress plugins that are available to you. The main difference is that you may be required to have an account with Google before you can mark your map. Here are several of the most popular Google Map plugins for WordPress:
Each plugin will have its own distinct procedures for its use, but the plugin page should also include instructions if needed. No matter which option you select you can now add your location using a marker on a Google Map. Make sure to add this valuable tool to help people find the location of your business or event.