A key feature of Google Workspace user management is the ability to assign roles to users. These roles dictate the permissions that the user has as well as features they can access within the Google Workspace environment. In this article we will outline how to create and assign roles in Google Workspace.
Creating a Role in Google Workspace
If you do not wish to use the pre-built roles and create a custom role for your workspace, you can do so via the following instructions:
- First, sign into your Google admin console using an account with super administrator privileges.
- On the Admin console homepage, navigate to the Admin Roles section.
- Select Create New Role.
- Enter a name and description to identify the role.
- Under the privilege name section, select the boxes corresponding to each privilege you want that role to have.
- Select Continue.
- Once you’re satisfied with your settings, click Create Role.
Congratulations, you have successfully created a role in Google Workspace!
Assigning a Role in Google Workspace
Now that you’ve created a custom role, you can assign it to multiple users with the following instructions:
- While logged into the Google admin console, navigate to the Admin Roles section of the homepage.
- In the list of admin roles, hover over the role you wish to assign and select Assign Admin.
- Next, select Assign Users.
- To enter specific users, type their email address into the search bar. You can select up to twenty users this way.
- Once you’ve designated all the users you wish to assign the role to, select Assign Role.
Congratulations, you now know how to assign roles in Google Workspace!
By setting up and assigning user roles you can secure your Google Workspace account and streamline the experience of all users in your organization.