By default, WordPress shortcodes do not work within Text widgets. If you need this functionality, it is quite easy to accomplish, simply follow the steps below.
Using Shortcodes in a WordPress Text Widget
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard
- Under “Appearance” click “Editor”
- In the list of files on the right of the page, click “functions.php”
- At the bottom of the functions.php file, add the following code:
add_filter( ‘widget_text’, ‘shortcode_unautop’);
add_filter( ‘widget_text’, ‘do_shortcode’);
- Click “Update File” and your shortcodes should now work in your Text widgets!
Changes made to these files may get overwritten after theme updates. It is always recommended to make these kinds of modifications in a child theme.