There are multiple ways to convert images into favicons. We even have a Favicon Generator tool. But it’s better to have offline options to accomplish goals. Below we cover how to create a favicon using GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).
- Install and open GIMP.
- From the top, select File and Open an image file.
- From the top, select Image and Canvas Size.
- Ensure the width and height match in pixel (px).
- Select Resize to apply changes.
- From the top, select Image and Scale Image.
- Change the width and heigh to 40 px. Press Scale.
- Select File and Export As.
- Click + Select File Type (By Extension) and select Microsoft Windows Icon ico.
- Select File and Save As a XCF file to store the file for later editing.
Learn more about images on a website with our Photographer’s guide for WordPress.