How do I change the main domain name on my account?Written by Brad Markle
The support department will be more than happy to change the primary domain name on your account for you. You must have already registered the domain name that you will be switching your account to. If you haven't already registered the domain name, domain registrations through InMotion Hosting are $11.99 per domain per year.
Please note that the cPanel software was not designed for the main domain name to be easily switched around. For example, if your main domain name was domainA.com and you wanted to change it to domainB.com:
What is affected when my domain is changed
All of the email accounts created for domainA.com will turn into domainB.com accounts. You@domainA.com will now be You@domainB.com. If you still needed You@domainA.com then you will need to add domainA.com to your cPanel again as either a parked or addon domain name and recreate the email account.
Important! This is not always the case. If you have a parked domain with emails that have the same username as the main domain and you change your main domain to that parked domain, your emails may not change.
If domainB.com was an addon domain name and all of the files were located in public_html/domainB, you will need to reupload the files back to public_html.
All of your subdomains.domainA.com will turn into subdomains.domainB.com. For example, sales.domainA.com will now be sales.domainB.com. All subdomain names will need to be recreated if still needed.
The previous main domain name on the account will be removed. If you still needed that previous main domain, you will need to log into your cPanel and add it as either a parked or addon domain name. Once the domain name has been changed, you will log into your cpanel via http://domainB.com/cpanel instead of http://domainA.com/cpanel
Steps to change your primary domain for Shared accounts
If you have a Shared account, you can change the main domain name on your account through AMP:
- Log into AMP.
- Click the "Details" link under Account & Billing on the left.
- Next to the product/plan name, in the last column, hover your mouse over "Make Changes" to display a dropdown menu.
- In the dropdown menu, click "Change Primary Domain".
- You'll see a page with an explanation of everything that is affected when your domain is changed. If you're aware of this information and would like to proceed, click on "here" in "If you agree to these terms and wish to proceed, please click here".
- If you have any addon domains, you'll see the dropdown box is pre-populated with those addon domains. Select the addon domain you'd like to change your primary domain to, or you can choose "Enter Domain Name" to type in a domain that's not listed in the menu.
Click the "Submit" button.
Note! If you see no domains in the drop box it is because you have no addon domains in your cPanel
- You will see a confirmation in your AMP panel like "Your primary domain has been changed to your-new-domain.com".
Modifying domains on VPS and Dedicated servers
If you are on a VPS or Dedicated server, you can modify your cPanel accounts. To learn how to modify your own cPanel accounts in WHM , please see the tutorial on How to modify a cPanel account within WHM.
If you need assistance with changing your primary domain name, contact our Support department via chat, email or phone 24/7.