Grav is a databaseless content management system (CMS) that uses Twig templating and Markdown markup language, the same used within Slack and Github. Grav is powerful CMS choice for those wanting less complexity and reduced risk of cross-site scripting.
There are three ways to get started with Grav:
- Grav + Admin plugin
- Skeleton package with plugins, sample pages, and theme for specific purpose
- Grav Core Only
We recommend the admin package for users to use the GUI to manage Grav. Alternatively, you can install a skeleton package and then the admin plugin in SSH using the command bin/gpm install admin. Without the Admin plugin, you’ll need to edit all raw files using HTML and Markdown. Below we cover how to install Grav + Admin plugin and navigate the admin dashboard.
Note: Grav + Admin plugin is also available from Softaculous.
Install Grav + Admin Plugin
- Download the Grav Core + Admin plugin package from getgrav.org.
- Upload the zip the file to your server.
- Uncompress the file into the public_html directory. We recommend you rename the Grav folder.
- In your web browser, visit the website URL – e.g. example.com/grav-admin.
- Create an admin user. Afterwards, you can login with that URL and /admin at the end.
- You’ll be forwarded to the admin dashboard. You can view the website as well.
- Click GRAV to access this dashboard from other pages
- View your Grav site with the small icon to it’s right
- View profile settings with the user name and Gravatar
- Clear Cache
- Check for Updates
- Maintenance: Update and Last Backup status
- Page View Statistics
- Notifications for the Grav CMS and community
- News Feed for Grav blogs
- Latest Page Updates from your website.
On the left, you can navigate the following menu options: