When you visit a website, there is an image in the browser tab that displays for each site (See image to the right). This is called a “favicon.” The favicon image is in the .ico file format. You can have other file formats; however, this article will only explain how to use the .ico format. The .ico format is universally accepted in all browsers. To create your own favicon, you can use our Favicon Generator In this article, you’ll learn how to add the favicon to your site.
You will want to name your favicon image “favicon.ico“. Also, when creating a favicon, you will want to make sure your image is square and not rectangle.
Once you get your favicon generated, you can upload it to your server and add code to your site to display your own image in the browser tab. Below are the steps to get your own favicon working on our server.
Steps to add a favicon to your site
- Login into your cPanel.
- Go to the File Manager, Select your directory for your site (In this case the main domain public_html location) and Click Go.
- Upload the favicon to your server.
- Edit the source code that contains the <head> code of your site. The head section code should look similar to the snapshot to the right.
- Add the following line of code below the <title> tag.
<link rel='shortcut icon' href='favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon' />
- Save the file and preview your site in your browser. You should see the favicon show in your browser.
If you do not see your favicon load in your browser, you may need to Clear your browser cache.