In this article, we will outline how to install the popular NGINX web server software on your VPS or Dedicated Hosting account. Installing this software allows your web server to cache content and increase server performance. This ultimately translates into faster websites and better experiences for end users. The installation process requires both root WHM and SSH access and is only recommended for users with familiarity with Command Line Interfaces (CLI). As this process requires root-level access, it can only be performed on VPS or Dedicated Hosting accounts.
Changing Listening Ports
- First, log into WHM as the root user.
- Next, click the Tweak Settings link in the Server Configuration section.
- On the Tweak Settings page click the “>” to scroll, then click the System tab when you see it.
- Scroll down to the Apache non-SSL IP/port options and select the box to change ports. Since we want to set the listening ports to 8080 for InMotion servers, enter the following:
- Navigate to the Apache SSL port setting and select the box to change the ports. Since InMotion uses port 8443 enter the following:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Save button to open the listening ports.
- First, connect to your server as the root user via SSH.
- Once logged in, run the following command:
yum -y install imh-ultrastack-ded
- You will see the following message, type ‘y’, then press the enter key.
Install 1 Package
Total download size: 484 k
Installed size: 1.3 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
The software has been installed successfully when you see a message such as this:
Congratulations, you have now installed NGINX!
To take full advantage of everything NGINX has to offer, please see the following resources: