Adding Product Categories in OpenCart
In the last tutorial, we showed you how to remove the current categories so you can add your own. Categories allow you to group products together so your shopping cart visitors can find products that are related to one another. It's best practice to plan out your product categories ahead of time but you can edit, remove, and add new categories at any time.
We're creating a fictitious online technology bookstore for our tutorial. We've already set up some basic categories in our shopping cart. However, we're going to set up a new category called "Databases."
- Log into your OpenCart Dashboard
- Go to Catalog > Categories
- Select the "Insert" button in the upper right corner.
- On the General Tab, fill in the fields for your new category (you can make changes at any time). The only field that is required is the "Category Name"
- Click on the Data Tab and fill in the fields you want (these are optional).
- Click on the Design Tab and select from the dropdown menu if you want (these are optional).
- Click the "Save" button in the upper right corner.
At this point you have created your first category! You can add as many categories as you would like. The following screenshot shows that the category was successfully created.
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question on our support center website.
Thank you for your feedback!