Webmin is a system administration interface that makes it easier to manage a server without SSH. Like cPanel, Webmin can complete a long list of sysadmin features natively and with installable modules:
• File, database, and user management
• Language and theme customization
• Firewall and other security options
• Scheduled Backup configuration
• Resource monitoring
• DNS Settings
• Read email
• And more
There are three major steps to getting started with Webmin on Ubuntu:
- Log into SSH as root
- Edit your APT sources file:
- Add Webmin to the file:
deb https://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib
- Download the developer’s GPG key which signed the repo:
- Add it to your list of trusted keys:
apt-key add jcameron-key.asc
- Install apt-transport-https for the ability to access packages with an HTTPS connection:
apt-get install apt-transport-https
- Update your package lists:
- Install Webmin:
apt-get install webmin
- Set a password:
/usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin/ root NewStrongPassword
If when updating your password, you receive the error “Can’t locate ./acl/md5-lib.pl…” error,
cd into the /usr/share/webmin and try again.
Open Port 10000
You’ll need to ensure you open port 10000 in your server firewall. We recommend using APF or CSF to manage iptables firewall rules.
After you finish installing Webmin, log into https://hostname:10000 or https://ServerIP:10000 with your root user credentials.
Change your Webmin password before continuing.
Fix Self-signed SSL Certificate Error
You should address the self-signed SSL issue immediately after installing Webmin for better server security.
- Cloud Server users will need to install a Let’s Encrypt SSL, purchase an SSL certificate or disable the Enable SSL? setting
- cPanel server users can request a new free SSL depending on your AutoSSL settings in WebHost Manager (WHM)
Are you looking for better website security and DDoS protection? Ask how you can protect your data with the Sucuri web application firewall.
If you need help at any time, let our Managed Hosting team help you with Launch Assist.