How to Export a Database using phpMyAdmin
When you export a database, you are creating a backup file of the database. This backup file is usually a .sql file (a text file), and can be used to copy and import the database onto another server. In this article we'll show you how to export your database.
Log into phpMyAdmin
If you are an InMotion Hosting customer: Log into your cPanel and click the phpMyAdmin icon under the Databases heading.
If you are not an InMotion Hosting customer and do not use cPanel, please contact your hosting provider for more help.
- Click the database you are working with in the left menu
- Click Export in the top menu
- Under the Export heading, ensure that all of your tables are selected and that the SQL option is selected.
- Under the Options heading, ensure that you have selected, Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
- Ensure the Save as file option (towards bottom of page) is checked. If you think you database is quite large, choose either "zipped" or "gzipped" to compress the file so it will be easier to download. If you choose none, you will be save the file without compression (which is OK, you don't have to compress the file).
- Click Go
You will be prompted to either open or save the file. Please select the option to save the file and then save the somewhere you'll remember (such as directly on your desktop).
Congratulations, you have just exported a copy of your database!
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!