How to change forum level permissions in phpBB 3.0
When creating your community you may end up working with many forums and categories. You may want to change permissions on the forum level to allow specific users and groups to have certain abilities and access. Below we describe how to change your phpBB forum permissions for your chosen forums in your community website.
Editing forum permissions in phpBB 3.0
- Log into your phpBB admin dashboard.
- From there, click on the Forums tab if the screen is not already focused on it.
- Once you land on the Forum Administration tab you will see a sidebar on the left hand side. Locate and click on the Forum Permissions link found under the Forum Based Permissions section.
- You are led to the Forum Permissions page. From here you have two options. The first is to be able to select a single forum, or any combination of forums from the list in the Select a Forum field. The second option is to select a forum from the lower dropdown. This will automatically include all subforums for your selection when making permission changes. In our example, we will choose the forum entitled Your First Forum. Click on the Submit button for your appopriate section to continue.
- You are now on the Forum Permissions assignment screen. You will see there are four different sections on this page. They contain lists of Users, Groups, or Roles. You can select one, multiple, or all selections in a list by clicking, shift-clicking, or selecting the Select All checkbox for your desired category. In our example, we are going to work with the Group named My New Group. Currently, the group has no permissions assigned so it appears in the lower right box entitled Add Groups. Click on the Add Permissions button to continue.
- We are taken to the page to set the permissions for our group. There is a dropdown available to select from several prefedined permissions caegories. You can also select from the links to the right for All YES, All NO, or All NEVER.
No Role Assigned... This selection needs to be chosen if you are going to apply a custom permission set to your user, group, or role for the forum. To do so you will also need to select the Advanced Permissions link to view which buttons you want to add. No Access This blocks the user from accessing the forum at all. They are not even able to see the topics or posts. Read Only Access While the user will be able to enter the forum, they will only be able to read the topics and posts. They are not allowed to vote in polls, create new topics or posts, or reply to them. Limited Access Users are allowed to enter, read, and reply to topics and posts. They are not allowed to use features such as icons, create stickies, attach files, post announcements, delete their own posts, bump topics, create polls, or attach files to their posts. Limited Access + Polls As above but the user does gain the ability to create polls. Standard Access Allows the user to use more features than Limited Access. Users get all of those permissions plus they can delete their own posts, bump topics, attach files, and use icons. Standard Access + Polls As above, but gains the ability to create polls. Full Access This gives the ability to use every permission available. It is usually reserved for administrators. On Moderation queue This selection has the permissions of the Limited Access, but all posts and topics must first be approved by an Administator. Bot Access This permission role is set exclusively for bots and remote scripts. Newly Registered Users This role is reserved for new users, it is very restrictive and contains no active permissions.
- Once you have selected which permission role you want for your user/group, click the Apply All Permissions button to apply them. Back on the Forum Permissions page you will see the group My New Group is now included in the upper Groups category.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Managing permissions in phpBB 3.0
|1.||Copying forum permissions in phpBB 3.0|
|2.||How to assign moderators to forums in phpBB 3.0|
|3.||Editing permission roles in phpBB 3.0|
|4.||How to change forum level permissions in phpBB 3.0|
|5.||Adding permissions to your specific phpBB group|
2014-04-02 6:45 am
in forum i gave permission to read only to my all forum but still postreply working without user login and captcha is not rendering at time of new post have any idea pls help me
2014-04-02 10:17 am
Thank you for your question. We are happy to help, but will need more information to help troubleshoot the problem.
Can you provide a link to your website, so we can test/replicate the problem?
How did you add captcha? Can you provide a link to the guide you are using?
Also, here is a helpful link to an article on the Official phpBB website, that explains permissions in-depth.
If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.
2014-04-05 12:32 am
im sending u my website link help me in here captcha nt rendering and without userlogin by default opening postreply.........
2014-04-05 1:33 am
Did you have any issues with your forum prior to setting it to read only? It would appear that there is some templating problems affecting the styling of the forum not allowing full buttons to display.
You might also be having some problems with your forum behavior due to the way you are running your forum within an iframe of your main site.
The CAPTCHA image itself pulls from the URL forum/ucp.php?mode=confirm, when you try to access this URL directly you get a Module not accessible error, so you might need reinstall this module.
If you just try to access forum/ucp.php?mode=confirm directly on your forum, you should notice the template problem I'm talking about. As you should see the Overview, Profile, Board preferences tabs and so on.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
2014-04-05 2:34 am
i set all forum permission as readonly still showing same problem without login user available of postreply and in forum postreply buttion is showing properly
2014-04-05 2:55 am
It sounds like you're missing some phpBB modules, or some necessary core files possibly. Do you have a backup you can restore your site back to working condition from, or does it work properly when you do not set the forum as read only?