How to censor words in phpBB 3.0Written by Scott Mitchell
Whenever you deal with a community of users, there is always a risk of one person offending another with specific words. While you can moderate every post or require all posts to be approved before being allowed to display, this can become very time consuming and tedious, even if you share the work with other moderators and admins. Censoring words in phpBB 3.0 is a great way to reduce the amount of time you need to put into it. This feature scans each post and replaces any word you choose with a replacement. While the general feeling and intent may get through to the readers, at least the shock of the specific word will not.
Censoring words in your community
- Log into your phpBB admin dashboard.
- From there, click on the Posting from the list of navgigation tabs across the top of the page.
- You are now on the main Posting tab. Look for the category named Messages in the left hand sidebar. From there click on Word Censoring to continue.
- This next page is the displays the current censored word list. If it is your first time here, you will see an empty list just like the one shown here. At the moment any word a user writes will show up in their posts. Click on the Add New Word to add a new word to the list.
- This is the page where you add your new word. The first field, entitled Word is the field you enter the offensive word. For demonstration, we are usign the word 'jerk'. The Replacement field is where enter the word you want it replaced with, in our case we selected 'silly person'.
- Click on the Submit button to save the new word to the list. You will then see your new word in the list, just like our list shown below.