It has come to our attention that many Outlook 2013 and Office 365 users are having issues within synchronizing IMAP folders recently. This appears to be happening across all hosts due to a recent update that Microsoft has pushed out to all of its users.

What causes the issue?

This issue is caused by installing one of the following updates that have been pushed out by Microsoft on 11/12/13:

KB2837618 or KB2837643

If you have not already done so, please avoid this update for a bit until Microsoft corrects the issue. If you cannot avoid the update, we will provide you with further steps regarding a temporary fix for the issue.

What does this issue affect?

This issue with Microsoft Outlook 2013 and Office 365 will cause IMAP folders to not successfully synchronize, therefore inhibit your ability to receive new mail to your inbox.

How do I fix this issue?

There are a few ways to resolve the issue:

Uninstall the recent updates (KB2837618 or KB2837643)

One option is to remove the recent update that has been pushed out by Microsoft to Outlook 2013 and Office 365 users. To do so, complete the following steps:

1. Open your Start menu and click visit your Control Panel.

2. Click Programs and Features

3. Click View Installed Updates

4. Locate either the KB2837618 or KB2837643 updates and remove them.

Disable the "Show only subscribed folders" option in Outlook

There have been reports that the problem can also be resolved by removing the setting that states to show only subscribed folders in Outlook. To do so, complete the following steps:

1. Right-click the name of your account with the issue, then click the IMAP Folders... link.

Changing setting for
  2. Outlook will open a box with IMAP folders.There is a checkbox that says, "When displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only the subscribed folders." Uncheck that box.

3. Force sending/receiving within Outlook and everything should synchronize up properly.

Changing the root folder path

Visit your Account Settings, then Advanced for the mail account that you are having trouble with. This can be located at one of the following:

• Go to Change Account>More Settings>Advanced Tab

• File>Account Settings>Account settings>Change...>More Settings...>Advanced

1. In the Folders option, look for "Root folder path" and enter "INBOX" (with all caps).

2. Save your settings and force a Send/Receive

We will keep this article updated as much as possible while the issue persists. If you have any further fixes that worked for you, let us know in the comments.

We value your feedback!

Why was this article not helpful? (Check all that apply)
The article is too difficult or too technical to follow.
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
How did you find this article?
Please tell us how we can improve this article:
Email Address
Name

new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!

Related Questions

Here are a few questions related to this article that our customers have asked:
Ooops! It looks like there are no questions about this page.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!
Ask a Question
2014-03-01 3:04 pm

Getting this error and this has caused alot of issues for me not receiving legal paperwork twice in a month

Did not have the updates listed and disabling subscribed folder instructions are not right

2014-03-03 10:56 am
The solutions in this article as specific to these updates and are not meant to resolve all issues; only the ones caused by these updates that were pushed out previously. If you could clarify the specific issues you are having, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.
2014-03-19 6:51 am

Hi JeffMa,

my imap inbox was working fine yesterday and i've come in today after a windows update and now my imap account wond send or recieve in outlook.

I get an errors in folder .pst - I don't know what to do, i've tried everything.

Can you help?

2014-03-19 7:45 am
Hello Byron,
Could you clarify what the specific error that you're getting is?
2014-03-19 8:52 am

The server doesn't respond and says that an error is at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\emailaddress.com.pst.

it was working fine yesterday and after the windows update KB890830 it's now not working - I'm in outlook, the folder is showing, but when i click on it i get a server error.

I'm in a working office and everyone else is working fine - Very strange.

2014-03-19 9:04 am
Try running the Scanpst.exe tool. Instructions on doing so may be found at the following:

Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)
2014-03-20 7:17 am

I seem to having the same problem after installing outlook 365 today for my wife.  Her gmail is synched and looked ok in the inbox.  But it is constantly synching. is that normal?

2014-03-20 8:10 am
Hello Wilson,

If the inbox is quite large, it can take a while to synchronize. It should not be constantly syncing, but can sync quite often depending on your settings. It is also possible that it is a large inbox that simply takes a while to sync.
2014-03-25 1:45 pm

IMAP Messages won't send from Outbox, and none of the solutions here are working.

Messages WILL come in to the Inbox, but just won't send!

9,968 Points
2014-03-25 2:31 pm
Hello Kerri,

This article specifically deals with IMAP issues and Outlook which just deals with incoming messages, which it doesn't sound like you're having issues with at the moment.

We have another guide on problems sending mail that might be more helpful in your specific case.

More than likely you'll want to check if you're using port 25 for your Outgoing server, as this port could be getting blocked by your ISP. You would instead want to use either port 587 for non-SSL mail, or port 465 if you're securely connecting to the mail server over SSL.

Please let us know if you're still having any issues at all.

- Jacob
2014-03-29 5:48 pm

So far I can't get Outlook to recoginze sub folders AT ALL on my main email account, and it loses them regularly on the other two accounts.   I can't imagine using outlook regularly when it wont see my filed mail.

2014-03-31 8:19 am
You may simply need to subscribe to those specific folders within your Outlook settings.
2014-04-03 2:42 pm

I did all the suggestions mentioned above except I could not find those updates on my pc. I am getting the following message

Your IMAP Server wants to alert you to the following: Folders cannot be created in a system folder.

Suggestions?

9,968 Points
2014-04-03 3:04 pm
Hello Michael,

If you couldn't find the updates listed above in the article, then you more than likely are dealing with a separate issue then what this article covers.

I found on the Microsoft website a post about creating subfolders with IMAP in Outlook 2013. It sounds like this isn't a specific Outlook issue, but more than likely related to your web host.

I couldn't find any account information on file with us, so I'm assuming you're having these IMAP issues with another web host. I would recommend seeing if you can login to a webmail interface in your web-browser to your email account and see if you can create a folder there directly on the server. Then in Outlook see if you can see that IMAP folder created on the server.

It sounds like possibly your IMAP server doesn't allow for IMAP folders to be placed inside of your Inbox folder. Instead you should try having your IMAP folders on the same level of your Inbox and see if you still have issues syncing them with the server.

Please let us know if that works for you.

- Jacob
2014-04-14 1:40 pm

Outlook performed an update in the past couple of days and when I opened it today, it required that I set everything up like a fresh install.  Now all of my subfolders and contacts are missing and the most recent date for everything is 4/14/2014 @ 13:10. The same time the config was performed.

2014-04-14 1:45 pm
I'll be happy to update the article with more information on this recent issue. Do you happen to know the specific update that was applied? Were you able to find a resolution to the issue?
2014-04-14 3:56 pm

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and Outlook 2013 and now my sent messages are not showing in the Sent Items file.  Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Robert

9,968 Points
2014-04-14 4:12 pm
Hello Robert,

Were you previously using the same email account setup on a different computer? It sounds like you might have possibly been using your local email folder to store your sent emails in, instead of storing them on the server-side via IMAP.

If so, then you would need to access your old email client and backup your sent email folder. Either to the server via IMAP and then pull it down in your new mail client, or backing it up locally to something like a thumbdrive and then restoring it to Outlook 2013

- Jacob
2014-04-15 3:45 am

Hi Jacob,

Have been reading with interest this conversation. I have the same problem - and none of the suggested solutions work. Having spoken to Microsoft I realise they don't have a clue either. My situation: I recently changed from XP and Outlook Express 6 (where, for years, the IMAP synchornisation worked beautifully in either direction) to Windows 8.1 and Office 365. Send/receive and synchornisation work only if the root path folder is tunrned to INBOX (otherwise send/ receive get stuck), but then you lose all the user-defined IMAP folders. (You can't create subfolders for the Inbox if  the root path folder is not empty.) I understand that the proobelsm didn't exist in Outlook 2010, but MS wouldn't provide me with a copy...!

Christoph

16,693 Points
2014-04-15 1:04 pm
Hello Christoph,

The above article was written in response to an issue that Microsoft addressed in November of last year. The problem was caused by an update. If you're having a similar problem, it most likely has nothing to do with that issue unless you are using an version that was released at that time. Since you're using a January release, then you probably don't have this specific issue.

In regards to Jacob's response above, you have not confirmed if you were using an email account saved to a server versus your own computer. If you were using an account that was saved locally versus on a server, then you need to take the steps he suggested.

If you're not seeing USER-DEFINED folders in your IMAP account, you need to subscribe to them. So set your root folder to INBOX and then try subscribing to the folders. The process should be similar to the 2010 version of Office as described here. If you're still having problems, then you may need to work with Microsoft's technical support in further depth in order to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Arnel C.
2014-04-18 10:00 am

I did all of the listed steps to find my incoming emails and i still can not find them. This is only happening on one out of my four email accounts. any suggestions? it sends emails ok ,but wont display the incoming emails

2014-04-18 10:08 am
The solutions provided above are specific to a prior update that affected users several months ago and may not apply to all situations. In your situation, I recommend following our guide on subscribing to your inbox in Outlook.
2014-04-19 2:09 am

Help!  I changed the Root Path to "inbox" in an effort to see the "Sent" Folder, which has disappeared with Outlook 2013.  It sent a test e-mail successfully but I still didn't see the Sent folder, so I closed Outlook and tried to re-open.  Now it won't open at all!  "Cannot start Outlook...cannot open the Outlook window....the set of folders cannot be opened....the folder (my gmail.com) cannot be opened....".  Help.  How do I open Outlook to change the root path back to blank...?

2014-04-21 8:15 am
After doing some searching on Google for your issue, I have come across a solution posted by Microsoft on their forums. I recommend following this forum post as it should resolve your issue.
2014-04-24 3:36 pm

The  worked for me. I had stopped receiving new emails from one server (NetSol) though the other server worked well.

Uncheked

Disable the "Show only subscribed folders" option in Outlook

as suggested and it worked. Using Outlook in Office 365 with Windows 8.1

8,816 Points
2014-07-29 10:26 am
Hello Bill,

You are very welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix your problem with emails not showing, by un-checking the show only the subscribed folders option.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-05-08 7:31 pm

Very interesting thread -

my issue with IMAP is that anytime someone sends me a large email (> approx 8MB) it blocks up my incoming emails - I can still send no problems, and i still receive all the emails on my phone - they just wont download to my computer, and no other emails received after the large emails will either.

If i log into my webmail, download from there, and then delete, all the other emails start downloading to my outlook again.

I know it will take time to sync these large emails, but i have waited hours and they still don't download.

Is this something you could help me with please?

Also, we have issues with larger emails that we have sent replicating on the server - so we end up with 70 copies of a 6.5Mb email on our server filling up our email server. Not sure if this is a separate problem?

Thanks in advance.

16,693 Points
2014-05-08 8:25 pm
Hello Haydn,

Sorry to hear about the problem with your emails. In order for us to troubleshoot this issue, we need account information. Since you have not provided this information, I can't look to see what may be causing the problem. If you could please provide a URL or account name and email address we can look into it for you. However, bear in mind that anything you post on the website is public domain. If you want to keep it private, then please contact our live technical support team via phone/chat/email.

Kindest regards,
Arnel C.

2014-05-09 1:10 pm

Tried the imap fixes you suggested. no luck. I am not able to view my mail in the inbox?

8,816 Points
2014-05-09 3:22 pm
Hello al,

We are happy to help, but we will need more information to troubleshoot the problem, such as the email address.

Are you able to login to Webmail successfully?

Also, if your problems persist, it may be easier to contact Live Tech support, so they can review your mail logs in real time.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-05-21 7:49 am

This has caused me a real probelm - I created a new folder and moved 2 very important emails from april into it - then I got an error message from IMAP server about not being able to create folders - which I closed - then the folder i had created, with the vital emails vanished! so I can't get these emails back! My email isp is trying to help - but it doesn't seem to work.

Really, really annoyed as the loss of these emails may result in me losing £2500

2014-05-21 8:56 am
Within Outlook, try subscribing to the specific folder that you placed them in. If you don't see it there, the folder is likely not on the server.
2014-05-22 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have recently changed from Windows XP/Outlook 2003/gmail/POP3 to a new computer with Windows7/Outlook2013/gmail/IMAP.  Unfortunately, the Outlook 2013/IMAP combination has been a disaster with numerous folder/sub folder synchronization issues that have even affected my old computer's email folders.  I am considering a change back to POP3 & am assuming that would resolve the synchronization problems without losing any messages or folder set-ups(?).  Whenever I send a new message, I get a very large numbers if copies in my trash folder & would like to know how to eliminate thiese excessive duplicates(?).  It seems like I need to either use Outlook with POP3 or just avoid Outlook 2013 & just gmail for all my mail.   Thank you for your comments.

2014-05-22 1:15 pm
I personally recommend setting up Gmail to pull all of your messages via POP. That way, all of your messages are stored on Gmail and you won't run into the issue of duplicate messages.
2014-05-28 12:13 am

I am receiving email, but there is nothing in my Outbox!!  The only way I can forward sent email is to log onto the G-mail server and get my sent mail.  this is a useless program if it only provides the facility to get email but not to get it.

2014-05-28 7:52 am
I recommend checking your outgoing mail settings to ensure that they properly match up with what Gmail has provided. Sometimes, even the slightest change can cause issues.
2014-05-29 6:46 am

Hello,

Outlook 2013 doest not dowload my messages received with IMAP anymore. I can send messages without any problems. It happened just before I made a big cleanup of my messages in outlook 2013. I tried your suggestions but i didnt found the updates on my computers, i don't have the 2 mentioned.

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Antoine

2014-05-29 8:24 am
As this article is a bit older, you likely won't have these same updates. I recommend attempting to subscribe to the specific mail folders or changing the root folder patch and see if that helps.
2014-06-08 10:39 am

I tried all the above suggestions, but none worked.  The KB updates mentioned weren't installed on my PC.  I manually send/receive after sending an email to myself from another account but the email doesn't come in until I close Outlook and reopen it. I'm using Outlook 2013 (Office 365).  Also, the same email may be "received" 10 or more times (i.e., it shows up multiple times in my Inbox).  Outlook is constantly "SYNCHRONIZING 'Inbox'".  Is there a solution?

8,816 Points
2014-06-09 2:25 pm
Hello twscitp,

Thank you for your question. We are happy to help, but will need some additional information to troubleshoot.

Have you tried setting the account up from scratch? Sometimes it can help when Outlook is acting inconsistent.

Are multiple people, or devices connecting to this same email account?

You can set the synchronization interval in Outlook, here is a link to their official guide.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-06-19 2:06 pm

The account was set up from scratch already.  I've set the sync interval to my desired frequency.  I do access my email from my Android phone and my Android tablet.  I thought the whole purpose in using IMAP was the ability to do this.  I continue to have to restart Outlook on my desktop to get new emails; some emails do not show up on my phone and/or tablet.  I also continue to get 20 or more of some emails, even though I've deleted the email already.  The constant synching has mysteriously stopped (at least for now).  Is Microsoft doing anything to fix this chaos?

8,816 Points
2014-06-19 2:16 pm
Hello twscitp,

Thank you for contacting us. Microsoft suggests if you did not install the original updates (KB2837618 or KB2837643), the the latest update should fix the issues:

But, if Outlook is working at this time, it may be better to use it as is.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-06-12 7:46 pm

Hi there,

I'm having trouble viewing my sent emails. The last email that shows up is a month old.

I'm on Outlook 2013 on Win8 using Exchange. The same thing is happening on my Surface as well. However all my sent emails show up on my Iphone.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

2014-06-13 7:43 am
When viewing the emails on the server itself, are they within a sent folder? You may need to subscribe to that specific sent folder within Outlook.
2014-06-18 4:21 pm

I've got this same damn issue and it's driving me nuts.

It all started after installed Windows 8.1 Update 1.

I don't see the to KBs mentioned as being installed, I can only assume they are part of the 8.1 bundle (ggrrrrr).

Now I sometimes get mail, other times I don't - there is no rhyme or reason to this.

Wish I'd never installed that damn update and like others Outlook is either constntly syncing or doesn't sync at all.

SERIOUSLY disappointed Microsoft aren't fixing this as it's killing people.

9,968 Points
2014-06-18 5:17 pm
Hello Cliff,

I know it can be frustrating to have sporadic access to your email. It looks like Bill had commented further up in the comments that he's using Outlook in Office 365 with Windows 8.1 and was able to resolve these issues.

Try checking or un-checking the Show only subscribed folders option in Outlook and seeing if you're still having errors. Here is the Microsoft guide for Display only subscribed IMAP folders.

- Jacob
2014-06-19 1:35 pm

I tried the solution to enter "inbox' in the root folder path and the result was that all of my other folders went away.  How do I recover them.

8,816 Points
2014-06-19 1:42 pm
Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for contacting us. Have you tried entering "Inbox" with a capital "I" ? The lowercase inbox will be a different folder (most likely empty if you don't see anything).

Since this guide is for IMAP, your emails/folders should still be saved on the server.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-06-19 1:55 pm

Thanks.  That fixed it.  Also the issue with slow mail seems to be resolved.

2014-06-19 3:12 pm

Fixed - was a corrupt Outlook Profile. Creating a new one and setting everything up from scratch and normal service is resumed (for noe). Thanks for the reply.

2014-06-25 1:52 pm

The unchecking the box worked for me!! THANKS A BILLION!!!

2014-06-26 3:43 pm

my sent folder all of a sudden is only showing about 2 days of e-mail, it says on bottom of folder to load more on the microsoft exchange server, when I do that it populates from 2013 down. I have no e-mauils from 06-23-14 to 03-24-13

any clues. I really need to access my sent e-mails

9,968 Points
2014-06-26 4:41 pm
Hello Kathy,

It sounds like you might need to speak with your email host, as it seems you are using a Microsoft Exchange server. This article you've commented on is relating to IMAP issues with Outlook, but that seems like a completely separate issue from what you're having.

If possible, you might have direct webmail access to the server where you can look to see if your missing messages are actually stored still on the server and just unable to sync with your Outlook client. Please contact your email host for info on how you might access that.

- Jacob
2014-06-28 2:07 am

Sir,

I have configured both microsoft 365 & gmail in Outlook & also in my Android..

But whenever am sending some  mails fm gmail through android, its undelivered and getting a mesges" rejected by the relay pod51021.outlook.com.

kindly help on this.

Thanks...

Damo

9,968 Points
2014-06-28 2:52 am
Hello Damo,

If you are trying to send from your Gmail account on Android you typically wouldn't be using Outlook's mail servers in the mix at all. Are you using the Gmail app on your Android device?

It sounds like the Outlook server is telling you you're not authorized to relay mail through their server.

It looks like there are a lot of people with similar errors relating to Gmail and Outlook, but I don't seem to see a solution from Microsoft on the issue.

- Jacob
2014-07-02 2:47 pm

By clicking the main mail box, unsubscribed from the folder, press apply, subscribed to the folder, press apply and the forced a read, everything loaded up.  Thanks for the tip

2014-07-08 6:28 pm

I seem to have the problem described, but do not find amongst my updates either of the updates indicated.  I loaded Outlook 2013 from Windows 365 on 3/20/14. Any new developments?

Thanks for any advice!

16,693 Points
2014-07-08 7:54 pm
Hello ChrisL

I looked around to see any updates, but the link does go the download link for the Outlook update If you are unable to find the right update, you would be better served contacting Microsoft for the correct update link and files.

Regards,
Arnel C.
2014-07-10 12:48 pm
I ended up with two folfers fot each e-mail account converted from pop3 to imap?
2014-07-10 12:59 pm
It sounds like you may have local folders on your computer from POP and the server folders from IMAP. You may need to completely remove the account and re-add it to resolve the issue. You could also simply try just deleting the incorrect folders as well.
2014-07-13 9:30 am
Disabling show subscribed folders fixed this issue for me...thankfully.
2014-07-14 10:59 pm

I am trying to sync the emails from my mac to my PC desktop. I am using Outlook 2013. With IMAP, I am able to view, send and receive email from my desktop but my Sent folder is empty and I am missing a few months of email. My mac has all emails from 2012 up to July 2014. But in my pc, I am missing June 2014 to January 2014. I started syncing my email on July 3. Some emails were probably misredirected in the process. I don't have the KB2837618 and KB2837643 updates and also tried changing the root folder path but to no avail. I also don't see "show only subscribed folders"in my Outlook.

Hope you have other suggestions.

Thank you!

8,816 Points
2014-07-15 10:26 am
Hello Ness,

Thank you for your question. Your issue does not seem to be related to updates KB2837618 or KB2837643.

Since IMAP accesses emails on the server, what you are seeing on your PC desktop is what is currently on the server. It should save your Sent mail as well, if not make sure you are subscribed to your IMAP folder.

I would then check if you are using IMAP or POP on the Mac. Since you are only seeing older emails on the Mac, they may have been downloaded via POP, and are now stored on the Mac.

If they have been downloaded to the Mac via POP, you will have to export them, and then Import them into the PC computer. How this is accomplished depends on your specific email clients, for example Mac Mail, Thunderbird or Outlook.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-07-15 5:25 pm
I am trying to access email on my iPad- none of your suggestions seem to be possible on the iPad
9,968 Points
2014-07-15 5:59 pm
Hello Jane,

Are you trying to use Outlook on your iPad? You might want to take a look at our configure email on an iPhone / iPad article for the full process.

If you're still having any issues, please let us know at what step you're running into problems, and what if any errors that you are seeing.

- Jacob
2014-07-15 7:42 pm

Please help! I just re-formatted my hard drive last week and reloaded windows 8.1 and installed office 365 for the first time (I was using office 2010 with no problems) everything seems to be working but outlook 2013 (Imap with gmail accounts- 6 of them). I have troubleing getting timely e-mails when I sync. Takes several hours to days to get e-mails come through. I have tried all the suggestions above..."INBOX" as root path, unchecking subscribed folders (It was already unchecked, checking it didnt work either), I dont have the KB files since I have a recent windows disk. I tried un-installing most of my updates...no luck. Any other suggestions?? I get no error messages, just wont load e-mails. I did have brief luck when i disabled "Labels" on my gmail account settings. but that only lasted for 1 re-send attempt. Thanks for your help.

16,693 Points
2014-07-15 8:07 pm
Hello Bob,

Sorry to hear about your problems with Outlook and office 365. Unfortunately, there is a history with issues with IMAP on this version of Outlook. I would highly recommend that you get the LATEST service updates for your Office installation. You can find them here at the Microsoft Office 365 Service Upgrades and Service Updates page.

Kindest regards,
Arnel C.
2014-07-16 12:25 am
I used the "show only subscribed folders" uncheck this box and YES everything worked just fine! I very very much appreciate this helpful info
2014-07-16 2:08 pm

I read all the threads concerning this problem, but did not read anyone having the same type of trouble.

On my PC, I am able to view incoming email into inbox, however, within a minute or two the email disappears.

My Outlook is sync'd with my phone - the emails going into my phone inbox do not disappear.

16,693 Points
2014-07-16 5:14 pm
Hello Julie,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with email. This kind of problem is often related to two types of email protocols being used. One could be IMAP, while your phone is using POP3. POP3 Downloads the files from the server. So, if the files are there, they may be there until the phone syncs, and then the files are no longer on the server, but on your phone. The best way to resolve this would be to change the phone to use IMAP (or at least make sure that it does). If all devices are using IMAP that is attaching to the account, then the emails shouldn't disappear. If you require further assistance, please provide us a domain name and the steps duplicate the problem so that we may investigate the issue further.

Regards,
Arnel C.
2014-07-17 8:30 pm
Today (7/17/14) Microsoft installed an Office update and suddenly most - not all - of my imap folders from gmail have disappeared. The basics are there, but otherwise it seems to have arbitrarily chosen only a few to display. I have not installed the KB updates you suggested to delete, and nothing else I have tried works. And I cannot find an answer anywhere for this problem. HELP!
2014-07-18 9:27 am
Unfortunately, I have not heard any word about this update. Could you provide me with the specific update version number so that I can get more information as well as provide others with it?

Also, subscribing to specific folders in Outlook may resolve your issue.
2014-07-18 3:28 am

Thanks so much ! Very helpful!

2014-07-18 2:55 pm
Tried everything suggested and it still has not fixed the problem. Also went in to "Update Folder List" but nothing happened, even though I attempted it several times.
18,373 Points
2014-07-21 12:54 pm
Hello JCarallie,

This article is for an error that occurred in February so this particular issue should not be occurring. Please let us know your particular issue so we can assist you the best we can.

Kindest Regards,
Scott M
2014-07-22 3:41 pm

I too had this problem and I solved it by finding where the gmail ost file was being kept (go to account settings, data file and open folder where the gmail ost file is located and save that path).  Shut down Outlook 2013, opened file explorer and went to the directory that contained my gmail ost file.  Delete (or move to another area if you don't feel safe doing this, however if you setup gmail as an IMAP remember that gmail maintains a complete set for you).   Restarted Outlook and everything came back and it has been syncing just fine since then.   Thanks all

16,693 Points
2014-07-22 4:07 pm
Hello Rich,

Thanks for the comment! We do appreciate it when people share their knowledge!

Regards,
Arnel C.
2014-07-23 7:40 pm
I think this answer is very well laid out. I left the update uninstall to last and didn't need to do it.
2014-07-24 7:55 am
Find the solution to the problem
16,693 Points
2014-07-25 2:15 pm
Geoff,

I'm sorry if you're having problems with Microsoft Outlook. However, we're not sure what problem you're referring to. Per Microsoft, this issue has been addressed with their updates. If you have applied the correct updates and the problem is still occurring, then you may need to contact Microsoft for support as any fixes made for this product will need to be done by their programming team.

If you believe that the problem you're encountering is different, then please provide us more details on the issue in a reply to this post. Other users of Microsoft's product may be able to provide insight into the issue if you provide a description.

Kindest regards,
Arnel C.

2014-07-25 1:53 pm

My problem with Outlook 365 involves emails sent by people using their gmail accounts. These meail appear in my Outlook inbox but when Outlook is reopened the emails are listed and then immediately disappear.  I do not have the updates listed before and I have unchecked the box in IMAP folders.  My other folders (delete, sent outbox, etc.) are not affected at all.  I am not quite as adept as most on this forum, but am more than willing to try anything to keep these gmail-sent emails in my inbox.  Can you help?  Thanks.

16,693 Points
2014-07-25 2:49 pm
Hello Joan,

Sorry to hear about the problems. It is very strange. I looked on other forums for similar occurrences but I'm not seeing it as a major problem. If it were a problem, it would definitely be reported. Have you made sure that these emails were simply not being filtered out or removed with a spam filter? I use Gmail myself, and I am unable to duplicate these issues. If you are receiving the emails and you're seeing them in the email client, the problem is unfortunately in the email client, so it's not something we can troubleshoot through the server here.

Double-check your filters or any rules that automatically move email around in Outlook to make sure that it is not doing something to your messages.

Regards,
Arnel C.
2014-07-25 4:58 pm

I am having same issue.

Using iPhone with Miao, worked fine yesterday, webmail is fine but no IMAP synch

please advise

9,968 Points
2014-07-25 5:18 pm
Hello Sheldon,

I don't see why you'd be having any IMAP issues relating to Outlook 2013 or Office 365 if you aren't using either of these products. You might want to contact your email host and see if they're showing any login attempts from your device to see if it's even making it to the server.

You would probably want to ensure that you review your iPhone email settings and ensure they are correct and matching the credentials you're using to access webmail.

If you are connecting to the IMAP server, but not seeing all of your IMAP folders, you will want to read our guide on syncing your IMAP folders on your iPhone.

Also if for some reason you recently upgraded to iOS6, you could be having iOS6 IMAP issues.

In order for us to better help you troubleshoot this problem, we'd need more information from you such as what error you're seeing if any on your iPhone, and what steps you're trying to take to get your IMAP email synced to your phone.

- Jacob
2014-07-25 6:24 pm

Thanks Jacob.

iPhone using standard mail client, settings are fine, worked up till yesterday, no updates to phone

is anybody else having same issue ?

txs

sheldon

9,968 Points
2014-07-25 6:30 pm
Hello Sheldon,

I've talked with a few people with iPhones and they are not having issues with their IMAP connections. It sounds like something more than likely changed on the server end of things. You would want to contact your mail provider to figure out if you're even able to attempt a connection still to the mail server or not.

Another thing you might want to keep in mind, are you connecting over WiFi, or using your cellphone connection?

You might be possibly running into an issue through your network for connecting to the IMAP port, either 143 for a standard connection, or 993 typically for a SSL secured connection.

Again, we can't really help you at all if you don't provide any error messages at all, or what you're trying to do to get your IMAP mail to sync.

- Jacob
2014-07-26 4:31 am

Please, I have a problem with outlook 365 (institutional email) and i can't log into my email. when i was trying to log in, it give me  this message ''This webpage is not available'', however the internet connection is ok.

Could you help me to solve this problem?

9,968 Points
2014-07-26 10:54 am
Hello Ehab,

It sounds like you might have a local firewall that is preventing you from being able to access your mail. If you're attempting to connect from an office or school, you'll need to ask the network administrator if you're allowed access through their firewall. If you're connecting from home, you might need to check and firewall software that you're running, as well as any anti-virus suites that might be denying the connection as well.

- Jacob
2014-07-30 4:51 pm

Hi, for some reason Outlook stopped picking up mail today.  No error messages.  It thinks it is sending and receiving.  Also, cubemail and horde show different things in the inbox.  Help?

2014-07-30 5:05 pm
The webmail interface is the most accurate as it is showing exactly what is located on the server. It is possible that there could just be a small issue in Outlook. Try restarting Outlook or your computer to ensure that it is fully eliminating any processes that could just be stuck. If that fails, you may need to remove and re-add the email account.
2014-07-31 4:02 am

My imap account wont allow sub folders from the inbox folder in outlook 2013, I get a message saying " Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Folders cannot be created in a system folder". and then the folders are deleted automatically, emails that were in the were then moved to achived folder thank god. Please help

8,816 Points
2014-07-31 9:38 am
Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for contacting us. I found a similar problem posted in the MicroSoft forums regarding the "Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Folders cannot be created in a system folder" error.

Basically Microsoft recommends checking with your ISP, or creating a ticket with them.

If your email is hosted on our servers, we would need to know your specific account information to troubleshoot. the problem. It may be easier to contact Live Support so they can review the logs in real-time, while you are attempting to connect.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-08-08 6:15 pm
Thank you i fixed the problem. In my case it was issue with the folders. I disabled the "Show only subscribed folders" option in Outlook and now it all works again. Thank you
2014-08-10 8:40 am
It would be helpful to give a longer description, perhaps in a separate article, of the problem that this article resolves. My issue is that Outlook 2013 isn't picking up new IMAP mail as it arrives. Sometimes it takes days before Outlook picks up the mail, and then only if I keep Outlook open for that period of time. I think the issue I have having has something to do with Outlook 2013 not having that "push mail" functionality that was subject to a patent dispute, but that functionality is present in versions of Outlook before 2013. The updates that this article describes are not on my PC and the other resolution steps don't help.

But I have to say, that this is by far the best article I have found on the topic. Thank you for putting it out there.
8,816 Points
2014-08-18 11:52 am
Hello Lunda,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are happy to try and help you, but will need some additional information. Do you have a lot of emails stored in your IMAP folders?

If you have a lot of emails stored in IMAP, it can cause delays. This is because every time you access email it has to ask for all the emails and populate a list of them all. If your email is hosted on our servers, we can Automatically Archive your emails by month. They are still accessible and searchable, just not all stored in the same folder.

It is also possible the server is experiencing issues. I could not locate an account on our servers for you, but we would be happy to investigate further if you want to provide your domain name.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-08-18 11:23 am

Hi, I tried to follow these guidelines but they caused me even more problems.  I didnt have the two updates installed and the subscribed folders option was already unticked so nothing to change there and only one option to try.

However setting the Inbox as the root completely screwed things up for me so I would urge CAUTION if tyring this one - my subscribed folders disappeared from the folder list and wouldnt return if I remove the Inbox as the root folder. If I query the IMAP folders most of them are still there and creating a new account recovers those but I think I've lost some folders and emails.

8,816 Points
2014-08-18 12:15 pm
Hello ade,

Thank you for contacting us. I reviewed the article and it should actually be INBOX (in all caps). I updated the spelling in this guide. It was taken from our full guide on Subscribing to your Inbox.

Please keep in mind, this setting (INBOX) may differ with other hosts or mail services. If your email is not hosted on our servers, you may have to contact your hosting provider for their specific settings.

Since IMAP leaves your emails on the server by default, they should still be stored on the server.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

-John-Paul
2014-08-29 5:49 am

I can't find either of those updates, yet we are still having problems. To be more specific, no matter how many emails we delete we still keep getting a message saying our inbox is full. Being as we are a company and charity, it is very annoying that we are sometimes unable to send email, or even recieve them. We were hoping that following the steps to solve the probelm above would help, but no luck.

2014-08-29 11:05 am
This can be caused by your spam box being full or your quota being too low. You can increase your inbox quota in cPanel by clicking on the Email Accounts.

To clear your spam box, log into cPanel and click on SpamAssassin, then click on Clear Spam Box
2014-09-01 8:00 am
There are more issues with the IMAP folder synchronization. I do not have the mentioned updates and Outlook synchronizes only partly files with the IMAP folder which cause me loss of files etc.
If I go to the providers account info, I can find all missing E-Mails but they won´t appear in Outlook. In addition, synchronization takes much longer as the set interval for synchronization. If I terminate Outlook and start it a gain, a partly synchronization starts. By restarting Outlook 2- 3 times, I get all latest E-mails from the server but this does not help with subfolders which do only partly synchronize even if I only synchronize the subfolders with missing files.
2014-09-03 12:58 pm
First, I recommend removing the account from Outlook and re-add it. If that doesn't work, try fully uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook. If both of those solutions fail, you may want to contact Microsoft for more information.
2014-09-02 7:25 pm
None of the steps have helped. I have been without Outlook now for 3 months for the second time this year. Totally Frustrated........ Yesterday it worked randomly and downloaded 100's of emails and today back to square one. Wont trust it again will now need to find other solution
2014-09-03 1:00 pm
As these solutions applied to a specific issue several months ago, many times they will not resolve some current issues. Could you clarify what error messages you are getting? If you are looking for an altrernative, I recommend Thunderbird.
2014-09-03 5:10 pm

Decided to move some files into sub folders for safe keeping last night due to all the problems and shazam they are gone. Gone completely, log onto the webmail and they are not there. So frustrated as these were some business files (why didnt I just save to my computer????????) so mad with mysef.

I have discovered the only way I can get OUtlook to download is file-account settings-repair-then force download, I have to do this each time and it doesnt neccessarily work each time. I recieve no error message just nothing happens or it says it has sent the test message and nothing. Outlook has been a problem for me for most of the year.

2014-09-18 6:15 pm

Just wanted to add that my email host told me back in Feb they are legislated to keep emails for a minimun of 2 years (could be 7) They werent too happy but I got them to download every email back 3 or so years, took them about 2 weeks but they did it I then went through 1000's of emails and saved the ones I needed my self. I now manage my mail better that is of course when and if I get it :D

2014-09-18 6:01 pm

I wanted to say how helful you have been to many people with so many issues. I have been keeping an eye on the post and have reset all my email settings as described which has worked and allows me to access my emails through outlook. However I still have to force a down load every couple of days whcih may work or I have to log out of outlook and reopen, sometimes I still have to go to account settings-repair--force down load. Sometimes this doesnt work either and I go to account settings-change, if this doesnt work I go to account setings-data files and re click set to default or open the settings and click ok. Either way I either get my emails without doing anything as it should or I fiddle around and eventually get them. My question is why do i need to do this and is there something else I could be doing to improve it further? kind regards Sharrie

2014-09-19 1:22 pm
You could try removing and re-adding the account. Otherwise, your best solution may be to contact Microsoft.
2014-09-03 6:41 am

Since Microsoft released Outlook 2013, we have big problems with synchronization of IMAP mailboxes on non Microsoft Exchange mail servers. The reason is simple: Office 2013 is a piece of crapware supporting just their own (Microsoft) technologies. Try to create new email folder under IMAP and then delete it! IMPOSSIBLE. Try to set sent items and trash! IMPOSSIBLE! Forget about Microsoft and Outlook 2013. If you don't want to be angry, use another email client! This is a solution, nothing else!

2014-09-03 9:00 am
it didnt work
2014-09-03 1:02 pm
As these solutions were written for a specific issue within Outlook several months ago, the solutions provided may not work for current issues. If you could clarify the specific issues you are having, I will be happy to provide you as much information as possible for a solution.
2014-09-05 11:25 am
Not your fault! very kind of you to be trying to help clients anyway. But this Office 365 / Windows 8 / IMAP issue seems to be causingall sorts of problems
2014-09-05 11:36 am

Hullo gentlemen!

My ISP - phone cooperative - updated me automatically to an IMAP service. I've just got a new laptop running W8 and Office 365 - and all my emails keep disappearing from the inbox. I check my webmail - and that inbox is completely empty too.

I don't have the updates you mentioned, and I've tried the otherfixes withno success = have you come across anything more up to date from MSabout what's causing these issues?

All the best, and thanks for all your work.

8,816 Points
2014-09-05 12:25 pm
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your question. If you do not have the updates listed above, your problems is most likely unrelated.

Do you still have an email account setup somewhere as POP?

If emails are not available in Webmail, they were removed, or downloaded. Most likely via POP, which removes emails from the server by default.

If you are not sure, your email host should be able to help you review the email log for POP/IMAP logins.

John-Paul
2014-09-15 9:38 am

Hi John-Paul

Thanks for the steer, yup, you were dead right -because I had a device downloading emails which still had pop3 details set up it was causing a conflict. Once I made sure all my devices were pointing at the imap server the problem was resolved.

Thanks again!

2014-09-06 8:30 am
You should provide an illustration of where to find the folders tab next to the favorites tab.
You totally lost me.
8,816 Points
2014-09-15 12:25 pm
Hello ,

Thank you for contacting us. I reviewed the guide, and it was incorrect.

So, I updated the Disable the "Show only subscribed folders" option in Outlook section , with the correct steps, and a new screen shot to clarify.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.

John-Paul
2014-09-14 10:30 pm

JeffMa and crew, i just spent four 1/2 hours on the phone with MS trying to resolve my outlook 365 issues... They remotely tried to fix the inbox to recieve emails and send emails... the level 2 tech (my case was escalated) said it was an imap issue from my provider and the fix was needed on thier end. I called register.com and told the tech support line what microsoft said and i was told this was a known issue and the world was waiting on a fix... he also said the only way to make this work was to switch to pop3 or back to outlook 2010...

so my question is, where or who do i call for a fix or patch for this problem if it is truly known and is microsoft actively trying to fix this?

chris-

18,373 Points
2014-09-15 8:52 am
Hello Chris,

As the fix seems to be on the MS side of things, they are the ones who would have any information for a patch.

Kindest Regards,
Scott M
2014-09-16 12:14 am

I have an IMAP server it was working fine with outlook 2010 we are under process to upgrade to outlook 2013 its under testing. I am not able to see the folder content  its all blank in outlook 2013.

Any suggestion

Regards,

Sandeep mishra.

18,373 Points
2014-09-16 9:02 am
Hello Sandeep,

Have you ensured that all your folders have been subscribed to? Also, be sure to read the above and follow those instructions as well.

Kindest Regards,
Scott M
2014-09-17 4:43 pm

I have Outlook 2013 and am set up for IMAP.  My sent emails would not show in the Sent Items Folder.  I tried the possible solutions and none applied to my situation.  I have two other emails and the sent emails show up fine in the Sent Items Folder.  The problem email pst was in a different folder, so I moved it to the same folder as the other two pst files.  Problem solved.

2014-09-18 3:41 pm

I was having the stated problem with synchronizing my subscribed folders in Outlook (and getting timed out) so I followed your suggestion about changing the root folder to "INBOX" and then forcing a Send/Receive.  I promptly lost ALL of my subscribed folders except INBOX, meaning I lost every saved email I've ever sent from this email account (hundreds).  Please tell me there is a way to reverse what I've done.

2014-09-18 3:44 pm
They may have simply disappeared from Outlook if you are using IMAP. To check on them, try logging into webmail and reviewing your messages.
2014-09-22 8:01 pm

I follwed the instructions typed INBOX in root and now I have lost all my sub folders and when I removed INBOX they are still missing