How to cancel a user account in Drupal 7
As your site grows and expands, members will come and members will go. There will be a need to cancel a user's account at some point. Drupal 7 makes it very easy to delete a user account. When you do so, Drupal gives you options on what to do with their contributions to your site. Follow along as we demonstrate the proper way to cancel a user account in Drupal 7.
Terminating a user account in Drupal 7
- Log into your Drupal 7 admin dashboard.
- From the top menu bar, locate the People option and click it.
- From the People screen, find the user you want to work with and click the Edit link for that user.
- This new page is where you find all the individual settings for your chosen user. To cancel the user account, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see a button labeled Cancel Account. Click that to go to the next stage.
- You will now be taken to a confirmation page that has some options for the content the user contributed. Choose the radio button next to your option. Two of the options simply disable the account, whereas the other two will delete the account from the site. In our example, we are choosing the option "Delete the account and make its content belong to the Anonymous user."
There is also an option to require an email confirmation from the user to cancel the account. Check that box if you want them to confirm the account termination. It is off by default. Once finished, click the Cancel Account button at the bottom. This will finalize the termination.
Disable the account and keep its content.
Disable the account and unpublish its content.
Delete the account and make its content belong to the Anonymous user.
Delete the account and its content.
- After finalizing, you should be taken back to the user list where you will see one of two results, depending on your selection during the last step. The user will either be listed as Blocked (disabled), or have been removed entirely (deleted).
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.