How do I delete a file on my server?
When you are managing your files on your server, you may need to delete files off the server. You can delete files several different ways from your server. You can connect with an FTP program like FileZilla and delete files, or you can Use your cPanel File Manager. Below are the steps to delete a file from your server using File Manager and FTP.
How to delete a file through File Manager
You can use the cPanel file manager to delete files from your server. Below are the steps to delete a file from your server using the File Manager.
- Login into your cPanel
- Go to the File Manager, Select your domain where you want to delete the files and click Go.
- Navigate though your files to locate the file you want to delete. Right click the file and select Delete from the pop up menu.
- Confirm the file is deleted. Now the file will be gone from the server..
How to delete a file through FTP
To delete files using FTP, you can follow the steps below. This will only explain how to delete through FileZilla. Other FTP clients should work basically the same.
- Open FileZilla and connect to your server.
- Navigate to the file you want to delete on the server. Right click the file and select delete.
- Click OK to confirm the delete Now your file is no longer on the server.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
2014-05-05 11:58 am
I am able to delete files just fine. What I am unable to do is delete empty folders. Is there a trick for this?
2014-05-05 12:23 pm
Thank you for your question. You should be able to delete a file with File Manager, or FTP , as described above.
If you are not able to delete a file, you may want to check the file/folder permissions as described here.
If your problems persist, please provide more information such as an error message, or details on what happens when you try to delete the folder.
If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.