Installing Moodle with SoftaculousWritten by James Richardson
When installing Moodle manually, there are a few steps to take that may be time consuming. Softaculous is a great program for installing software on the server. Moodle 2.3 can be installed through Softaculous with little effort. This eliminates the need to download files, connecting to the server to upload them, and all the other steps needed to install Moodle. This article will explain how to install Moodle through the cPanel Softaculous application.
Installing Moodle with Softaculous
- Log into cPanel
- Navigate towards the bottom where it says Software/Services. Click Softaculous.
- Next, Moodle will show up on the page.
- On the Software setup page, do the following.
1. Choose the version you want to install.
2. Leave the choose protocol at the default setting. If SSL is required, SSL can be set here. This only applies to installations that the server has SSL set up for.
3. Select the domain from the drop box that Moodle is being installed on.
Note! If you are installing in a subfolder, you may want to create a subdomain first before installing on the domain.
4. Leave In Directory blank.
5. The Data directory is for the Moodle secure files. Leave the Data Directory default.
6. Database name can be renamed or left as is. This is not critical.
7. The Cron job is for Moodle to run php scripts at certain intervals. Leave the Cron Job as is.
- The Site settings can be set to whatever you want for your Site name and description. This can be changed later in the Moodle Admin section.
1. Leave the database prefix as is. You can change the database prefix for added security; however, this is not necessary.
2. The Admin Account section is the most important .This is the login and email configuration for the Moodle administrator login. Enter the Username, password and a valid email address in the fields.
3. Set the language and Click Install. The page will show Checking the submitted data.
- Next the page should show Congratulations, the software was installed successfully. Click Return to overview.
This concludes the article on Installing Moodle with Softaculous. Once installed, you will need to log in to the Administrator section to start buildingh the site. Please see How to log into the Moodle 2.3.2 Administrator Dashboard for information on how to log in. For more information on this Education course please visit Getting Started with Moodle