Adding the File Resource Module to Moodle CoursesWritten by James Richardson
Other nice features built into Moodle are the resource modules. The resource modules allow the administrator to upload or create materials, within the Moodle Course. This is to give the students the material required for completing the Course successfully. Unlike the last tutorial, Adding questions to a quiz using the Question bank where the module is an activity, this article will begin to touch upon the Resource modules. The object of this tutorial will be the File Module.
Uploading Files Resources with the File Module
- log into the Moodle Dashboard
- Once in the Moodle Dashboard, select the course and click the Add an activity or resource button to add a File. Select the File radio button and click Add.
Important! Keep in mind that Editing must be turned on in the Settings section in order to edit any of these options.
- Enter the Required Name and Descriptionfields. Below are the Settings available within the File Module.
General: Name and Description goes here
Content: This is the file that will be uploaded. Files can be dragged to the Select Files window.
Options: This is for display and sizing options.
Common module settings: The Resource can be hidden or made visible to the class.
- In the content section, for learning purposes, an html document will be uploaded containing a list of HTML tags for reference. Drag an image into the Content box. This will upload the file to the server. Click Save and return to course.
Important! The user accessing the file must have the correct software installed on their computer for the file to be accessible.
- Once finished uploading the file and adjusting the settings, go to the Course section where the File Resource was placed and click the title of the Resource..
- The final result should look something like the following snapshot. In this case, the html document that was loaded to the content box displays within the moodle file module.
This concludes the tutorial for adding a file resource to Moodle. Please check the next article on Labeling Activities and Resources with the label Module in Moodle. For more information on this Education Channel please visit Adding an activity or resource to a course in Moodle.