Domain Names - What is the difference / how to work with Addon, Parked, and Subdomains?Written by Brad Markle
This article will assist you with configuring domain names within your cPanel.
What's the difference?
A subdomain name is like a "Domain within a Domain". For example, a subdomain name of inmotionhosting.com is support.inmotionhosting.com
A parked domain name allows you to have multiple domain names point to the same account - often used to send mydomain.com, mydomain.net, and mydomain.org to the same site.
An addon domain name allows you to host a website for a domain name that has nothing to do with your main domain name. If you needed to host more than one different website on your account, the additional domain names would need to be added as addon domain names.
Before you can look at the Domains you will need to log into your cPanel and go to the correct section. The following explains where to go to get to the domains in your cPanel.
- Login into your cPanel.
- Go to the Domains section in your cPanel.
- Click "Subdomains" under the "Domains" section
- In the first box, enter the subdomain you would like to create
- In the drop down box, choose the domain name the subdomain is for
- The "Document Root" will fill in itself after you've entered the subdomain and clicked the drop down menu.
If you create support.your-domain.com, a folder named support will be created in your public_html directory and this is where you will need to upload your files to for this particular subdomain.
- Click "Parked Domains" under the "Domains" section
- Add your domain name to the first box and click "Add Domain!"
- Click "Addon Domains" under the "Domains" section.
- Enter the domain name next to "New Domain Name:"
- Click anywhere in the blank gray area and "Subdomain/Ftp Username:" and "Document Root:" will be filled in for you.
- Enter a password and then retype the password next to "Password (Again)".
Note: When you setup an addon domain name, it will automatically create an ftp account just for this domain name. You are not required to use this ftp account to upload the new website, but you are still required to enter a password.
- Click "Add Domain!"
If you're trying to add a domain name to your account that was previously added to a different cPanel, you may run into a problem. Please contact the Support Department if you need any further assistance.
What Hosting Do You Need?
While our Shared Hosting accounts do have a limited number of domains allowed for each account, our VPS and dedicated servers do not. With either of those plans, an unlimited number of domains is possible. Read about our dedicated server price and whether it is right for you. Be sure to check out our VPS plans too.